Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 03:37 AM

Default Loved Ones Doubting you / hindering game

I strongly feel my playing ability is heavily connected with my emotional surroundings, issues ongoing within my family, my relationship with my fiance, each time a personal speedbump is encountered a setback on the tables is soon to follow. Naturally, the logical way to plug this leak would be not play under these stages of durress, but to be painfully honest; peaceful moments are few and far between. And my game is suffering immensely.

Cash-games and I just can't seem to get along, no one ever folds, capping with TP is useless when John Doe has made a deal with the devil for the last street, perhaps all of my recent NL tournament play has taken the bite out of my limit game, or else there's simply no explanation. As the beats continue my loved ones acceptance narrows, haven't had that big win in a while, faith lessens and my only calming mechanism is shuffling chips.

I've come to the conclusion my next $5,000 poker dollars will all be spent for SNG's, and small MTT's. Sick of the massive fields, tired of cash games, tired of live games, tired of online games, I just played about 30 hours of poker straight and quite honestly I'm tired of myself. On that note, gl.

and God bless.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2005, 06:57 AM

Default Re: Loved Ones Doubting you / hindering game

[ QUOTE ]
Cash-games and I just can't seem to get along, no one ever folds, capping with TP is useless when John Doe has made a deal with the devil for the last street

[/ QUOTE ]

To quote Phil Hellmuth: "[You] misunderstand the game so badly." First you need to understand basic poker theory and why you want people to play like complete donks. If they never fold, you adapt your play accordingly. I don't say this to be harsh, but you seem to miss fundamental concepts about poker that you need to get straight before you address the other stuff in your post.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:11 AM

The correct line here is to quit playing poker until you can put other things in order. Failing to do so will be bad for your poker game and bad for your life.

If you don't want to do that give yourself an intense limit hold em bootcamp experience by reading

How good is your limit hold em by byron jacobs
Weighing the odds in texas hold em by King Yao
Hold em poker for advanced players by S & M
Small stakes hold em by Miller et al
Theory of Poker by Sklansky
Old 10-25-2005, 11:36 AM

Part of my advice would be to share your results with your loved ones (and yourself) less often than you do right now. Also, take a break until you experience something that jumpstarts a good mood / increased confidence.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:14 PM

I may have given the first couple of posters the wrong idea, I'm not a struggling player financially, nor am I in need of advice you may have read in some of your favorite books, I've done considerably well for myself and am still on my feet after having paid and continue to pay my many responsibilities. I was simply dejected with a few of my recent sessions, and the strain from those closest to me can get unbearable at times.

Last poster offered some sound advice though, clearing your head or vacationing can do wonders in re-energizing.

[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2005, 06:54 AM

My suggestion is to eliminate the "personal speedbumps"

Fiance being high maintenance? Ask for the ring back

Family being dysfunctional? Unplug the phone and ignore them for 6mos.

Do everything in your power to create the peaceful serene environment you desire.

You will still get sucked out on, and you need to learn that's a good thing instead of berating posters who give you sound advice.

You say you are going to SPEND your next $5K on MTT's and SnG's???? I don't think many posters on this forum plan on "spending" money playing poker, or would even consider having that in their vocabulary. (Except for maybe BrownThumb)

This post reduced the serenity in my day so I will not be responding to replies. [ QUOTE ]
You are now ignoring any st00pid comments made by OP or anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-26-2005, 04:56 PM

They should doubt you. Nothing in your post resembles a player beating the game, rather you sound like yet another losing player.

Oh and you should obviously work out things with your loved ones. I suggest taking a strategy that doesn't involve making a vague post on a poker forum.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My suggestion is to eliminate the "personal speedbumps"

Fiance being high maintenance? Ask for the ring back

Family being dysfunctional? Unplug the phone and ignore them for 6mos.

Do everything in your power to create the peaceful serene environment you desire.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word and then go punch your boss in the mouth when he assigns you too much work. Why not make the self destruction complete? You'll have a very serene environment to work on your game...
Old 10-26-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They should doubt you. Nothing in your post resembles a player beating the game, rather you sound like yet another losing player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmkay, next post I'll be sure to list an inventory of everything I've bought with poker winnings, NOT. Can you really rate my success over the years I've played by a few disgruntled sentences during a hard time I was having? If you havent experienced the real swings of this game, I'm sorry, but you aren't older than 25. Your snide, out of line, and immature comments arent really worthy of a response, but I couldn't resist. I love how "players" love to empower themself on posts by acting invinicible, scrutinizing anyone expressing real emotion, anything that breaks the mold of the crap they ingest from their poker bibles. Word of advice - get out more, socialize, step foot in a real cardroom and bring even 1/10th of that failed arrogance you call a personality, and someone will teach you a lesson you haven't yet read about.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:03 PM

I must be really toasty right now because I'm barely offended by your silly post.