Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2005, 01:07 PM

Default About overcards (long)

So, when to keep betting overcards? When to raise on the flop with them? When to follow through on the turn? I'm going to post my thoughts and some examples. Some of the examples might seem obvious, but it's the thoughts behind my decision that are important. When I'm done with this post I've probably put a lot of effort behind it so please read it and give me some feedback.

Hand 1:
First, a hand from the micros:

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Hero...
Raises. The pot is too big to fold and Hero holds two weak back doors. The bettor could very well be betting a draw and in that case we love to isolate him. We might get the opportunity to take a free card on the turn.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (7.25 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP1 checks, MP2 checks, Hero...
Checks. Hero won't win this pot UI often at all and with 1 cold caller from the flop a bet here has no folding equity. I'm checking to fold the river UI. If I had got it HU to the turn I would have betted every time to get a free showdown. AQ has showdown value and a bet on the turn would have folding equity. We are also charging a draw if we're ahead. I would fold to any further aggression UI.

Hand 2:
Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (7.33 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero...
Folds. This is a place to dump IMO. No backdoors, a very drawheavy board, risk of reverse domination, 1 player yet to act etc.

Hand 3:
Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (6.33 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero...
It's HU so I use to bet this in a decent sized pot. The flop is ragged and completely free from possible draws. What can BB be calling with that doesn't have me beat? Sure, without a read you could argue he decided to try and get lucky, but this board is the worst possible for him to try to draw to a pair since that K must look scary. As said I use to bet, but I guess there are good arguments for checking and fold the river UI. With 2 callers from the flop the turn check would be easy. Thoughts? Would your line differ if the K was a J?

I could go on forever, but then no one would ever read this post. Now it's time for your comments. Also feel free to post your own overcard hands that you think might be relevant to this thread.