Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2003, 05:22 PM

Default A good book on NL?

I know this belongs in the books and software section, but I'd rather here the opinion of players here. Can you recommend some good books on NL Holdem? I am strictly a limit player, but would like to play some NL occasionally to change things up. However, I am truly one of the givers when it comes to NL.

I've heard SuperSystem is still sounds when it comes to NL advice. Anyone else have some good suggestions? Thanks.

Cup
Old 11-06-2003, 05:28 PM

Default Re: A good book on NL?

Ciaffone & Reuben.
Old 11-06-2003, 05:50 PM

Make sure you get the 2nd edition.

I re-read supersystem all the time and it's really improved my NL game. Brunson puts a lot more emphasis on playing the players not the cards than you'd expect out of an S&M book-- so be forewarned if you're a all-math player.

It doesn't try to tell you exactly what to do in a mechanical way, but it's long enough and detailed enough that you'll get a little bit of an understanding of the thought process behind good NL play.

It's also a great book to have because someday you might want to try out some other poker games. The sections on stud and draw poker also very good. Actually my favorite section is probably Brunson's life story. This guy is a true rounder. lol

Anyways, I suggest learning his style in NL tourneys as opposed to cash games. The purpose of this is so that don't go broke making your first mistakes (or get too afraid to play correctly). Tourneys also force you to pick up small pots, which is essential to practice.
Old 11-06-2003, 06:28 PM

tyvm. That's very helpful
Old 11-06-2003, 09:34 PM

Super System is beautiful in the chapter about Doyle's life; ' ..when you are on the bussines end of a shotgun.'

His style is a style that can be copied by very few but due to that reason it is the most profitable. Ciaffone says this in his book and compares his style to being very ABC and more fitting for most players.

I'd recommend Super System if you have never played NL before. It lays the basics down. Pot Limit and NL Hold em is more advanced ideas and each line contains a mass of thoughts which need to be studied.

Most NL players have them both, and that will bring you up to speed theory wise.

As extra materail, and after you have the fundamentals of NL set i think these books will increase you win rate more than the other books:

Psychology of Poker, as NL is more of a people game than limit. I don't think it's hugely more about people, due to a large percentile of players play the same. This book will add to profit though.

Rereading TOP after 2 weeks of playing NL. I think this is the most benefital book for NL but can only be applied after some experience.

Good luck.
Old 11-06-2003, 09:35 PM

super/system's no-limit advice is good, but it is designed for games where you can expect people to fold mediocre hands to strong betting. thus i would use it mainly for tournaments if i were strictly an online player. plays like pushing all-in with a straight draw just don't make sense when you know you are going to be called.

i personally recommend ciaffone/reuben for cash game advice, especially since you already know your limit poker strategies and can build on those.