Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 06:35 AM

Default Bottom set, turn completes straight

Live shorthanded tournament. My stack is ~7000, blinds 100/200.

I'm on the button and pick up 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Two limpers to me, I limp, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (Pot 1000)

Checked to me. I bet 700 (too small?). BB thinks for a while, then calls. Everyone else folds. BB is a rather loose, tricky player. He covers me.

Turn: 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (Pot 2400)

Now that's a really scary card... He checks. I bet 1200. He calls. Was it correct to bet here? Bet size?

River: A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

He thinks for quite a long time before he checks. I immediately check behind. Does anyone bet here? I was really satisfied to get a free showdown here.
Old 11-07-2005, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Bottom set, turn completes straight

looks fine to me...
Old 11-07-2005, 08:30 AM

I agree with seeing the showdown here. In NL holdem. especially when there are multiple limpers, you have to be willing to give your opponent credit for having any two cards in the hole. From what you've said about the player there's a possibility any bet from you gets him coming back over the top and you just can't call that I don't think. If you bet at all it has to be all in, but if he has the straight and is trapping you're gone.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:48 AM

flop bet is fine- a little more than 1/2 the pot.

turn- checking probably gives you no info. if he's got the str8 he's going to check behind.

river- checking is OK. you don't have the nuts. you're behind to any hand with a 3 or an 8 or a bigger set.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:25 AM

Looks like a good line to me.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:34 AM

Default Re: Bottom set, turn completes straight RESULTS

Looks like you guys more or less agree with my line. I just had to make sure I wasn't completely off in some way.

He had 88 for the straight.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:48 AM

I like the bet on the turn. If you would just have checked he may have thrown out a river bet making you face a really hard decision. I like the turn bet and the check behind on the river is all good too.

Nicely played.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the bet on the turn. If you would just have checked he may have thrown out a river bet making you face a really hard decision. I like the turn bet and the check behind on the river is all good too.

Nicely played.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. My reasoning for betting the turn was that I thought there was a decent chance I was still ahead. He could for example have called the flop with top pair, two pair or a 6. And hopefully, if he did call, he would check to me on the river.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:13 AM

I like the way you played this hand. On the flop you recognize that the board is scary for bottom set, but you have to bet out and make it so villain doesn't have good odds to draw at a "possible" open ended draw. The turn card is scary as well, but when you bet out and get called you probably want to give villain credit for something. Fortunately you still have 9 outs on the river for a full house. The river check-behind is good as you'll only get a call from a hand that beats you (the straight) and anything else will probably fold. Villain MIGHT call here with an Ace in his hand but I still think a check behind here is the right play.

On the flip side of this you could argue that villain would be crazy to check the river holding a straight as he'd miss out on a bet if you check but if that's his plan and hero has been playing into it thusfar he may continue down that same path. Villain could also be holding the idiots end of the straight and scared of the higher straight beating him out.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the flip side of this you could argue that villain would be crazy to check the river holding a straight as he'd miss out on a bet if you check

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree. I think it was a really bad river check on his part since I would most likely have called a medium sized bet.

He seemed like the kind who loves to make fancy plays and I also believe I had an aggressive table image. The first hand of the tournament I played a similar hand where I bet every street in position and ended up all-in on the river. That time I had the goods but I knew everyone at the table would remember that hand so he might have been hoping for me to repeat that scenario.