Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 03:40 PM

Default Poker Superstars II

Why is this show rarely discussed here? You would think that with Sklansky playing these boards would have daily commentary.

Does anyone watch this show?
Old 09-08-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Poker Superstars II

go here
Old 09-08-2005, 03:49 PM

It's pretty atrocious. I think I finally figured out why.

Yeah the blind structure leads to an all-in fest and the commentary is pretty bad. But those damn hole card windows bothers the [censored] out of me! Something just seems so unnatural when those pros place the cards over the window, then look at the cards, then place them over the window again before making a decision. I hate to see two cards laying next to each other like that as opposed to one on top of the other.

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 04:05 PM

My problem with the show is the structure, which for the life of me I find impossible to read off the screen. Every time it pops on the screen I try to read it, but my eyes glaze over. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 05:29 PM

Because until they moved to 4 handed, the show was an unwatchable bore where at best two hands shown had a single post flop decision.

Now 4 handed, there is post flop play until they get heads up, where it once again becomes a push fest.

But, the playoff format has made it very interesting to watch and changed the tournament "norms" a bit. A few people have complained about how it "isn't poker" but, it's no less poker than what people have to do to survive in a regular tournament, just under different circumstances.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:07 PM

Unless, you're cheating or you have someone staked, I don't see how you'd ever try to not play a pot with someone for fear of eliminating them. It clearly changes the game to something other than poker, even tournament poker. And everyone seems to regard soft play versus someone you have staked as ethically questionable, borderline
collusion. For the non-critical readers out there I'm going to be very clear. I am not equating the PSII quarterfinals strategy to collusion, just saying some parts of the strategy only appear in normal poker tournaments when collusion or borderline collusion occurs.
Old 09-08-2005, 08:42 PM

I think the idea of totally changing the "goals" in a tourney is an ok idea. Like when Todd called Tomko with the TT, he was obviously making a huge mistake UNLESS he knew he could fold the blinds to him next hand...then he called with an "ok" hand. He obviously didnt quite understand that his goal at the moment was to keep Tomko around...not get rid of him. While it does change the game, I dont see it as a bad thing.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:05 PM

Yep, it changes the game to not tournament poker. That's ok with me because I like games other than tournament poker.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the idea of totally changing the "goals" in a tourney is an ok idea. Like when Todd called Tomko with the TT, he was obviously making a huge mistake UNLESS he knew he could fold the blinds to him next hand...then he called with an "ok" hand. He obviously didnt quite understand that his goal at the moment was to keep Tomko around...not get rid of him. While it does change the game, I dont see it as a bad thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he did know what he had to do, and his thought process was this:

For me to win, David Grey the current chip leader has to finish last. I need a really specific, and really unlikely set of circumstances to happen for me to continue in this tournament.

So, he can fold now, and become the short stack and likely lose and have no chance of winning, or become the chip leader and maybe be able to funnel chips to Dewey to keep him in this. Plus if he becomes chip leader, he'll have a decent shot at winning the actual Sit and Go, and take the 15,000 for his trouble even if he can't advance.

So maybe he saw his chance of getting the table to finish in order so small he figured he might as well try to win some money now, than win no money at all.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:05 PM

I'm enjoying the playoff format more than the elimination matches. There were so many and it took so long. I got a Tivo in the middle, which helped tons with keeping up. They were on at all different times.