Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2004, 08:44 PM

Default stuck in SNG hell

okay...I've been playing SNG's on UB for awhile now and I do okay...after about 200 6 and 10-handed games (spread between $10 and $50 games) I've got an ROI hovering around 20%...

not bad...but hardly very profitable...

instead of of boring you with hand histories, I'm reaching out to my fellow SNG brethren in the hopes you can enlighten me with your overall strategies...I'll give you a quick rundown on how I play, my strengths and weaknesses, etc...to the best of my ability to do so, anyway...

I'm very strong early...only play strong starting hands for the first couple of levels...I may limp with suited connectors or Ax if it's cheap...

If I do play, I play my hand aggressively...but I will lay down TPTK if someone comes over the top of me on occassion.

My bets are almost always potsized - especially in the first few levels...I might take something off of a raise when the size of the blinds are huge, but usually, I'm betting the pot.

So far so good...I also feel that if I get unlucky early, I'm pretty good at climbing back into contention...but let me tell you when I run into problems:

Middle rounds - 4-6 players remaining...I'm still very aggressive and betting the pot when I hit...am I risking too much here?

Also, when it gets down to say 4 or 5 players, I'm raising with hands like K-10, KJ, etc...is this too loose?

Heads up I'm pretty much even...winning 50% of my battles...I don't think this a very good way to make money, however, and feel I could be too aggressive here. If I'm up, I'll put constant pressure on the other player until he plays back, and when I'm down I'm going to constantly put him to a decision for a lot of chips...

Anyway...any feedback and personal strategies that have made you a winner at SNGs would be appreciated...

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2004, 11:23 PM

Default Re: stuck in SNG hell

Fire up PokerTracker and look at your Top 10 losing starting hands for the middle rounds. Bore us with your hand histories.
Old 07-27-2004, 11:32 PM

I find when it gets down to 3 people, everyone turns into calling stations. They will call u with bottom pairs to the river on potsize bets. It is driving me crazy.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:33 AM

exactly! I seem to be leading a lot of hands pre-flop and on the flop, bettign the pot, and having people call me down with bottom pair...not a bad thing, actually...except for the times you get sucked out on, of course...

As for Poker Tracker...I only play on UB and it apparently doesn't work with their SNGs...

I'll post some hand histories soon and get some feedback...
Old 07-28-2004, 01:46 AM

I'll post some hand histories soon and get some feedback...

That's the best option. We can be more specific with possible suggestions, and different ways to play.

Husker
Old 07-28-2004, 07:21 AM

Another thing I find, is 90% of the times I lose I lose with a PF All-in with a hand. I have to stop doing this unless I am pot commited from a raise or have a premium hand to start.
What level of S&G do you play?
Old 07-28-2004, 07:37 AM

Hi Big O

FWIW, since it's driving u nuts I'm assuming they're calling you to the river then with the winning hand, albeit bottom pair. If you are playing the final 3 exactly the same way you played to get there, maybe they haven't turned into a calling station as much as they feel they have a read on you. If they are winning these calls then perhaps it's time to vary your game when you get to final three just in case you have developed a tell?

G'Luck

stoneii