Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 02:08 AM

Default Easy push, easy fold, or tough decision?

About 450 people left, average stack is about 24k. UTG has been very tight (10/7 so far), and UTG+1 was just moved to the table about 5 hands ago. I usually get uncomfortable holding queens after seeing a raise and a reraise. So, if you are Hero, what do you do here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero (t10938)
UTG (t11735)
UTG+1 (t18076)
MP1 (t24408)
MP2 (t18748)
MP3 (t41076)
CO (t22972)
Button (t35318)
SB (t14425)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t1800</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t4200</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero ?

-J.A.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Re: Easy push, easy fold, or tough decision?

Wow, what a crappy spot to be in. I think the correct play is to fold, so of course I probably push.

Since utg +1 is an unknown, I push in a lower buy in event, and fold in anything $50 and up buy in...

I'm interested in other perspectives here...
Old 11-25-2005, 02:20 AM

I'd push. I'm not giving UTG+1 credit for having a QQ-AA, AQ+ range here. I think his range is more likely 99-AA, ATs+, especially if he thinks UTG is a weak/tight player.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd push. I'm not giving UTG+1 credit for having a QQ-AA, AQ+ range here. I think his range is more likely 99-AA, ATs+, especially if he thinks UTG is a weak/tight player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think his range is that large given the size of the reraise?

FWIW, I had UTG's range to be AA-1010, AK, AQs, and figured UTG+1 to have a range of AA-JJ, AK. Too tight?

-J.A.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since utg +1 is an unknown, I push in a lower buy in event, and fold in anything $50 and up buy in...

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the Stars 11+R, if that matters at all.

-J.A.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think his range is that large given the size of the reraise?

FWIW, I had UTG's range to be AA-1010, AK, AQs, and figured UTG+1 to have a range of AA-JJ, AK. Too tight?

-J.A.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, not too tight at all. Maybe 99, AQ os, and AJ s in a cheaper event.

Has the table been limpy or aggressive? If the table's been aggressively raising pf most hands, I think the chances of utg having AA or KK goes down slightly (as he would be slightly more inclined to limp these hands at this table).

Buy in is important too. How likely is it that UTG +1 places no importance on an UTG raise, and has no concept of his position and the consequences of his raise? Maybe he got his "lucky" 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] hand if it's a lower buy in.

If you had more chips I can easily find a fold in any scenario, but you don't... So I can't fold without additional info.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:51 AM

This is tough, but I push here (and bust [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ). I am not giving either of them credit for AA or KK, despite UTG being very tight as you say. This is probably a leak in my game, but IMO you get shown AK-AQs QQ-TT more than AA or KK here.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(10/7 so far)

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean? What was the buy in?
Old 11-25-2005, 03:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(10/7 so far)

[/ QUOTE ]

What does this mean? What was the buy in?

[/ QUOTE ]

UTG has been sitting at my table for the first 2 1/2 hours of the tournament, and has voluntarily put money into the pot 10% of the time and raised preflop 7% of the time. This was a Stars 11+Rebuy tournament.

-J.A.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:35 AM

I'm not sure exactly how people play in 11r's, but at higher levels this is definately a tough decision, and I would probably fold more often than not given the read that UTG is tight and we have no further information on utg+1.