Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Tivo vs Comcast Tivo

Comcast's blows.

We're getting DirectTV just to go back to Tivo...

Oh...that, and Comcast blows.

Sticky [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 08-29-2005, 12:31 PM

OK, Thanks for all the helpful advice. I decided I'm just going to buy a Tivo since I already loath comcast. I noticed that there are all these differnet boxes, 40 hours, 80, 300 etc... What do you guys have?

I think an 80 should be more than enough but I don't really know, I don't watch much tv, I follow a few sitcoms here and there and I'll probably watch some NHL if gets off the ground otherwise I'll probably use it to record movies here and there... is 80 enough? I also see that some of them have DVD recorders, as in, I could just rip movies to dvd? How is this legal? Does anyone use this function? How useful is it? I also talked to my friend who suggested buying lifetime and then when they come out with a new model or I want a change I can just sell it on ebay. I was looking on ebay and people are currently selling their lifetime membership Tivos, should I just buy off ebay? Good idea/bad idea? Everyone says the lifetime warranty transfers since it's for the box, so is there anything else I need to worry about?
Old 08-29-2005, 12:36 PM

What are the complaints (specifics, please)? I don't know because I've only had the comcast DVR with the "record 2 at once" feature, and it seems pretty simple. Pretty easy to tell it to record the entire season of a show automaticaly. And if I see a show I want to record in the guide, I hit record, and it's programmed. What awesome functionality am I missing?
Old 08-29-2005, 12:45 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

the tivo user interface is infinitely better than everything else i've seen/used. one of the more notable missing features is the wishlist function, where you can store searches. keyword, title, actor, director, category, etc. you can also have it auto-record based on those wishlists if you'd like instead of browsing. on my tivo, for example, i have a wishlist for anything that has 'poker' in the title.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:49 PM

Thanks! Seems like the comcast boxes better get a 'ware upgrade then. Keyword searching would be, well... key!
Old 08-29-2005, 12:57 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i actually have 2 dvrs. one is a moxi hd dual-tuner dvr from charter, the other is a series2 tivo. i split the cable and feed to both of them. i only use the moxi for digital/hd stuff, everything else is watched on the tivo because it's so much better (not to mention it has more space).
Old 08-29-2005, 03:58 PM

It is not even a comparison....

TIVO DOES NOT RECORD HI DEF

Not to mention the Comcast has 2 tuners as opposed to Tivo's 1. Try recording 2 things at once on Tivo...

Yeah, the interface on Tivo is slightly more friendly, but that is similar to saying that Phil Hellmuth's book has a better cover than HFAP, it may but who gives a [censored]...
Old 08-29-2005, 03:59 PM

How much Tv do you actually watch in hidef? I don't watch all that much....
Old 08-29-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It is not even a comparison....

TIVO DOES NOT RECORD HI DEF

Not to mention the Comcast has 2 tuners as opposed to Tivo's 1. Try recording 2 things at once on Tivo...

Yeah, the interface on Tivo is slightly more friendly, but that is similar to saying that Phil Hellmuth's book has a better cover than HFAP, it may but who gives a [censored]...

[/ QUOTE ]
You fools should get DirecTv. My TiVo has two inputs and there are HD TiVos for DirecTv.

Plus, DirecTv delivers over 225 channels in 100% digital quality.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:02 PM

all you need is a clear view of the southern sky.