Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 01:44 AM

Default .5/1 AK mega draw

Villain sat about 1 orbit ago. No significant reads. Fire again on the turn? Raise preflop? I've been at the table 4 orbits, button seems decent and played two pair well against fish earlier.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (4 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">UTG ($37)</font>
Button ($161.45)
SB ($152.25)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($100.90)</font>

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, Button calls $1, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($4) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $4</font>, UTG calls $4, Button folds, SB folds.

Turn: ($12) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $7</font>, Hero calls $7.

River: ($26) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks
Old 12-19-2005, 01:48 AM

Default Re: .5/1 AK mega draw

I would have raised preflop in this case and then pot it on the flop. It would totally change the whole dynamic of this hand.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop? I've been at the table 4 orbits, button seems decent and played two pair well against fish earlier.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep. Don't let him see a flop with position on you for cheap. I don't like firing at this first to act multiway in a limped pot, if I was PFR'er though it's standard (for one since there aren't 4 to a flop). Semi-bluffs need some sort of fold equity and I think you typically don't have it on this flop.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:53 AM

Typically raise preflop, although w/ no reads checking is alright. This is fine postflop.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:55 AM

No pot odds to call the turn bet. I would lead out for another 4$ on the turn and fold to a significant raise. Biggest mistake was no preflop raise. You need the money in the pot to make this draw profitable.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:55 AM

This is definitely a preflop raise 100% of the time and probably a post-flop 3-barrel hand for me. Hit the flop with your usual continuation bet, 1/2-2/3 pot on the turn and something like 1/3-1/2 pot bluff on the river to get other draws to fold. If you get called down, so be it - imo all these bets are +EV in the long run. I don't mind making a big pot here since your A and K are likely live outs as well.

I wouldn't be opposed to playing more passively if you were in position, but out of position a flop bet / turn check invites steals w/ little or no hands on the turn/river like no other play. As is I'm sure you're beat given this unraised pot, a bigish river bluff would be your only possible move, and that's incredibly opponent dependent.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:28 AM

I think not raising AKs from the BB a small percentage of time is alright to mix it up against good opponents. That being said, I don't think it's a good idea to let it go to the flop four handed. It's better to raise preflop and then pot the flop when it comes this way. If you get played back at, then you pray for that club to fall.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:39 AM

Against a single button or SB limp, checking this is fine occasionally. Against several limpers, you need to raise. Get money in while you're ahead, cut out some of the competition, get yourself some fold equity for later in the hand if you need it.

Given the check, the rest of the hand is fine.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:41 AM

Definite raise preflop, and that changes the entire aspect of the hand. With the hand unraised prelop there is no need to go nutso with the big draw.

Postflop I think your play is fine, but I am curious to know how you would play an offsuit ace or king on the turn.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:36 AM

Bet again on the turn. Very very basic example of where it's better to bet yourself if you were planning to call a bet anyway. You have collected a complete brick on the turn which means you will rarely get raised.