Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 04:38 AM

Default do you bother to bet this turn? ( 5/10 party )

i've been giving a lot of thought to wether i should keep betting turns even when theres logically probably a hand out there that has me beat. this is a good example. i feel foolish giving up on the turn but i suspect it's probably better than raising.

also might this be one of the situations from Hole Em For Advanced Players where i shouldn't bet the Queens preflop?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $5.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB folds.

River: (12.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, CO folds, Button calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 14.50 BB
Old 10-30-2005, 04:47 AM

Default Re: do you bother to bet this turn? ( 5/10 party )

You've been busy tonight Adam!

Flop bet seems good (unless a read tells you a c/r may be possible) since you could have the best hand and because you cant give free cards to all the draws out there.

OOP with 4 callers I think you should be done putting money in the pot.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:48 AM

Well, that is a limp-friendly flop, and the table appears loose too, so I guess no one has to have you beat. I'm not too optimistic once you get called in four(!) places though. There's a good chance someone out there isn't working very hard to protect his top pair (or better) on this very coordinated board. And even if by some chance you are best, there are certainly a lot of ways you could go on to lose.

I'd probably bet again, but I'm not sure that's best.

I think a table read would help a little, but I would feel uncomfortable for most of the table reads that are possible.

I think your river check-fold is good.

Preflop, I think it's a pretty easy raise.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:01 AM

the guy who won had QT for the straight, one guy had been slowplaying K8. i think that i'm usually beat on the turn but i had folded stuff like QQ on AJ3 on the turn previously at the table when i was out of position and just checked the turn and it was bet and then called. both turned over jacks. i didn't want to give up the best hand on the turn, by the time that river hit though i was pretty obviously beat.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:02 AM

no, i don't bother betting this turn.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:37 AM

man i have a lot to learn...