Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 09:24 PM

Default lets play some cards... 100NL

table had been playing kind of tight. SB and BB are solid players, good numbers, haven't made any crazy plays... i got bored and wanted to gamble. tell me what you think...

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $1.00 BB (5 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

Hero ($81.35)
SB ($167.40)
BB ($52.90)
UTG ($58.75)
MP ($97.50)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4</font>, SB calls $3.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls $3.

Flop: ($13) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, SB calls $7, UTG folds.

Turn: ($27) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, SB calls $20.

River: ($67) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $50.35 (All-In)</font>

you like? you hate? how come?
Old 06-10-2005, 09:34 PM

Default Re: lets play some cards... 100NL

[ QUOTE ]
i got bored and wanted to gamble.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this sums up this hand pretty well. Looks like your opponent is one of those "I can never ever get off top pair" guys, or the I will call any bet with any flush draw guys. If he calls which I think he does more than 50% of the time than you are completely screwed. Maybe, maybe if you have this guy covered you can get him to fold here (which Im going to assume he did).

If he did have a flush draw which is the only thing you are beating at this point, you are already winning the hand so I see little value in going all in on the river.
Also the river card is very bad for you as the only thing it does is alleviate your opponents fear of some sort of two pair (he probably knows you are not raising with an 8).
Old 06-11-2005, 01:55 AM

I like 9$ on the flop as a continuation bet. You might get a very weak Ax to fold there with a stronger bet.

On the turn... if you're going to bet, you need to bet about the size of the pot, maybe 22-25. Although I'd be giving a draw a free card, I'm more inclined to check the turn, because I'd say this guy has Ax 2/3-3/4.

If he has Ax, and he's called you twice, he's calling you thrice. You've got a flush draw beat anyway as well.

I don't like the river bet.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:12 AM

How often do you bet near half pot after raising preflop? It's also not a continuation bet, he has a hand. As I understand it, continuation bet is the term for the preflop aggressor missing completely and firing again on the flop.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:29 AM

if you're going to get crafty on the button with suited trash, atleast have a full stack.

edit: not that i dont lik the idea of raising the limper, (if he shows a willing % to limp/fold) it's just you want to have more BBs behind you to make this play +profitable.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:43 AM

ace flops are also probably some of the worst flops to get creative. If you get called, then they generally have an ace.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:34 AM

i knew MP was a solid player and hopefully he viewed me as the same... i didn't think he'd put all his chips in there w/ Ax, and i thought if i had a big ace he'd raise somewhere along the line...

he mucked.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i knew MP was a solid player and hopefully he viewed me as the same... i didn't think he'd put all his chips in there w/ Ax, and i thought if i had a big ace he'd raise somewhere along the line...

he mucked.

[/ QUOTE ]

you expected him to fold Ax after calling preflop, flop, and turn?

the river bet is bad. if he folds he was drawing, if he has a real hand that he's called 3 times with he's not likely to fold the river.
Old 06-11-2005, 10:43 AM

i felt SB played the hand very weekly. my read was that he was a solid player. i didnt think i solid player would call all of that on a draw, i put him on a small ace after the flop, thought i could move him off of it.

now that i look back on it this was a pretty poor play. whoops