Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Tonight\'s Wpt event and Adam the magician

I just finally got to this episode on my DVR, and must agree with you on the Magician guy (as you call him).

I'm sure an aggressive style is what got him there in the first place, but he really lost it at the final on several hands. He didn't seem able to calculate the risk/reward ration, and definitely had no brakes to speak of.

In limit tournaments especially, you really need to be able to figure out how many chips it's going to cost you to see the river, since you can't run your opponent off with a big overbet on the turn or river. He seemed to lack this skill, IMO.

And FWIW, no, I don't think one would need to have been at a final table himself in order to have a discussion on a public poker forum.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:17 PM

My wife and I watched this show (and this hand) and couldn't believe our eyes. Both of these guys were playing like total donks, especially the magician. It was hilarious to see the guy piss off $2,200,000 in chips with 33 and 55 and a board replete with overcards.

I don't know about you guys, but it seems like limit poker is all about bravado, balls and bullsh*t testosterone, jamming pots with semi-hands. There's no real art to it as against these hyper-aggressive donks who don't mind spewing off a few hundred thousand ramming and jamming with 33 unimproved it is basically a card-catching contest. Give me nl anyday and call me "weak-tight," since I won't play this style of donk poker.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:05 PM

It was evident they both knew each other to be somewhat maniacs. But was this the time to draw the line in the sand with your sword and say i'm the bigger man. And i will rebluff your rebluff of my original rebluff ect...

Wait til the baby stacks are out for you start clashing. Or at least on a board that can be bluffed with much more success. Like a paired board representing trips or somethting where it will be harder for your opponent to continue unless he has a hand. As it is harder to have draws because there is a pair out there(not 3 straight big cards like in the one they went to war on) to continue if he doesn't have a hand.

I think this hand may have put adam on tyilt causing him to not throw his hand away against the other guy with the 33's against the kq on the q99 board.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:07 PM

I thought this hand was played horribly, the check on the turn by Michael with the idea of checkraising seems borderline insane unless somehow he knows his opponent is bluffing and wants to get an extra bet, which well, if he has that kind of a read on things, he's my hero, but also check/calling and hoping he bets the river is just as effective and less risky...

Let's think about it for a second, after the ace falls what hands are going to bet that will fold to a checkraise outside of a complete bluff? If he has KK he'll likely check behind the scary ace and check/call the river, dido with JJ, KQ, QJ, JT or anyother hand that has a jack in it, (though no other jx seem to likely to 3 bet pf.) I don't seem him pushing Adam off AK, or any ace for that matter (just about all other potential pf 3 betting aces have made two pair, while AJ has straight outs.) So now how often does the checkraise here actually push someone off a hand that would have beaten you vs. how often the checkraise costs you two or more bets when you're way behind? It just seems like a really stupid plan in that spot as the vast majority of hands that someone bets there they aren't folding and you're WAY behind...

For what it is worth I played briefly with half of the final table. Hurricane Kain was the big stack at my bustout table and pretty much played any hand he could, especially if he could raise first in from mid to late position. Adam, I don't remember so much, but my buddy told me the first night he was playing 10-20 with us, he described him as fairly solid, but an annoying complainer, kind of fit the definition of half that table towards me... I was getting drunk and attempting to perfect my drunken laggy game, perhaps he picked up a thing or two from me as I was making a ton of hands and crushing the table [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Finally the colonel was the one player I was somewhat shocked to see get as far as he did. He was a very nice gentleman, but talked throughout most hands, and seemed to me to give away a TON of information, through what he said. I played with him for a little while on day two and comment to my friends afterwards that I would have loved to been next to him the rest of the tournament, evidentally I was SO right cause he made about 990,000 more than me! Even at the final table he was talking a great deal...
Old 06-20-2005, 04:11 PM

Hey Rushmore. Yeah i agree the aggression is what probably got him there, and that he didn't know when to take the foot off the gas pedal. He only had one gear. And his vehicle didn't have breaks.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:45 PM

I was at the event as well. Paul Darden busted me on the bubble with an inside straight on the river. If I remember correctly, Adam was very short stacked with 11 or 12 people to go. As expected, there were a lot of people playing very aggressively. Erick Lindgren went from being first or second in chips to being out at #11 really quickly.

Paul Darden said in a Card Player article that Micheal is going to be really good. Since then, Micheal won a bracelet in a NL event at the WSOP.