Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Sushi in Los Angeles: 5 Reviews

I've only been to Matsuhisa(good but overpriced and I always stick to a few dishes) and Katana(too trendy for my tastes). I like Ita-Cho and Sushi Gen(great for sashimi), as I love sushi, but don't want to consistently pay $60 for a meal and still not take a big dip in quality.

DN
Old 11-16-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'd be surprised if i ever eat at any of this places, but this is a great post tron. good layout, nice use of links/bolding, concise descriptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention the title. Even with 2+2 search, someone looking for sushi in LA should be able to find it.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:14 PM

Sushi Tenn

Worth adding this to the thread. Gets great reviews on Citysearch, Chowhound, etc. I had the more expensive Omakase set (i think they offer 3 ranging from $30ish to) $70ish).. it included stuff like abalone and a mushroom gelatin.. For what it's worth, presentation was very nice, the quality was good but not as great as I would have expected for the $$.. I'd go back to try and sample the more reasonable omakase set and see what I get.. also it would make a decent date place.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'd be surprised if i ever eat at any of this places, but this is a great post tron. good layout, nice use of links/bolding, concise descriptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention the title. Even with 2+2 search, someone looking for sushi in LA should be able to find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you both. I am just trying to give back a little to the forum that has given so much to me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Also, Happy Birthday.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:20 PM

Great post. I have to agree with R-23 and Ita Cho as being among the best
sushi in LA. I've found the sushi at Katana to be dissapointing, but great atmosphere and as mentioned, great Robata bar. If you go to Koi it is strictly for the scene - I found the sushi (while good) to be worse than every place listed in this post that I've visited (about 90% of them).

A couple low key suggestions: in J-Town, try Hamakawa - zero ambiance, but *excellent* sashimi and very inexpensive. Near Melrose and La Brea, try Azami - it's a strip mall type place, so again without ambiance, but excellent fish. They also have female sushi chefs - very uncommon.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:33 PM

Nice work.

I'm very impressed that Zip Fusion was one of your stops. Great spot - And you are right that the patio is key.

As mentioned by someone else, R-23 is good as well.