Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2003, 12:17 AM

Default $10-20...Rate my opponents play.....

Hello,

I was in a great $10-20 game at Foxwoods yesterday.

My play is straightforward. ( although I am pissed about my river play.. But that is another story )

Rate my opponents play.

I open-raise with ( A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Lone ( last ) opponent calls with 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

We are heads-up the rest of the way..

4th Street
-----------
ME-- ( A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
OPPONENT-- (XX)4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

HE bets $10
I RAISE to $20
HE RE-RAISES to $30
I call

5th Street
----------
ME-- ( A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
OPPONENT-- (XX)4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

He is high and bets $20
I RAISE to $40 and he calls

6th
-----

ME-- ( A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
OPPONENT-- (XX)4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I am high now with the open kings and (of course) bet $20
HE calls.

River
------
I catch irrelevant rag and bet $20.
Opponent RAISES to $40.
I call.

MY AK high flush beats his AQ high flush.

Comments on his play.
How would you have played it if you were him. ( or if at all )

CJ

Old 07-25-2003, 01:03 AM

Default Re: $10-20...Rate my opponents play.....

I would have played it the same way, except that I would usually just check-call on 5th street. Even if you are overplaying Ks here, you're not going anywhere, and you will bet if checked to.

-Mike
Old 07-25-2003, 08:35 AM

one thing is that there is no reason for him tobet after you catch the third club. i would have check claled the rest of the way. i think he did the right thing raising the river and you should have taken it one more, which i presume is why you are pissed.

Pat
Old 07-25-2003, 10:38 AM

Your play -- obvious, no mistakes. River raise marginal -- raggy board, early aggression could equal trips that filled and you can't fold to a four bet.

His play -- third street, a marginal call with a three flush and no overcard. Assuming two or less spades on board, I'd probably have called you here but it's not really a very good call if you think about it.

Fourth -- catches his best card, now he's in to the river. I've seen lots of people overplay the four flush. I'd probably not three bet here head up (I would with a third weak player trapped in), but I guess he's representing aces? I'm sue you were terrified.

Fifth -- Definitely a check call head up

Sixth -- Check call

Seventh -- I'd play it just like he did here -- bad luck for him you had the ace.
Old 07-25-2003, 03:00 PM

one thing that is not indicated is whether CJC was in a steal position, which could even be middle position in some games. i was thinking that he was, or more accurately i was assuming he was, since he called. after reading your post i am rethinking it, and if cjc wasnt viewed by the opponent as stealing, then i think you are right that it was a marginal call. but we also dont know what his other hole card was aside from a Q. so it is a marginal call, and if anything a bad call, if he thought cjc was not stealing or had a big pair.

hey CJ, how was it a great game with only one caller of your raise!! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Pat
Old 07-25-2003, 08:02 PM

Your opponent didn't catch Tc on 5th...

I think your opponent played it well. On 4th there aren't too many hands you
can have which is hand is doing badly against, and in fact an Ahigh 4 four flush will
be a favorite (although this time he wasn't).

I think his bet on 5th is fine too.

Maybe his call on 3rd isn't the greatest but its not so bad either.

I wonder if you believe he didn't play well by your title!?
Old 07-26-2003, 12:17 AM

Default A FEW MORE THINGS.....

Hi guys ( and ladies ),

First to clarify some things.
The bring in was to my IMMEDIATE right. So it would not be assumed for a steal raise.
It was folded all the way around to my lone opponent who was on the bring-ins immeditate right also. ( the bring-in folded )

Also, as one poster (correctly) saw. I goofed in my original post, obviously my opponent didn't catch 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], he caught 10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. ( typo on my part. sorry )

CJ
Old 07-26-2003, 12:29 AM

Hi Pat,

hey CJ, how was it a great game with only one caller of your raise!!

Actually, this hand was an exception. This game was VERY loose and filled with terrible players. ( except for 1 other very good opponent ) For example, there was one hand where it would be very obvious to a good opponent that I had a big full house early(KK). I had four callers the whole way..got away with a ( awesome [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])check-raise on the river..that went to three bets..that went to four..that EVERYONE called. I made $760 in 1.5 hours in a $10-20 game.

And there was a thread below about how the WPT has affected stud. You can guess my answer!!

CJ
Old 07-29-2003, 11:39 AM

Default MY final thoughts.....

Hi again,

As most of you have probably guessed by now, I DID NOT like the way my opponent played this hand. And I didn't like it right from the start.

1) Why cold call a raise from a King when you only have a queen-high three flush( best case ) when you ( basically ) know you are going to be heads-up.

2) On 4th he caught the best possible card he could have hoped for. I think his 3 betting the hand was marginal at best. I would have check-called 4th and check-raised fifth if I were him. ( cause if I don't have that flush draw I have a really difficult time calling that raise on fifth. )

3) when I raise him on 5th. HE has to figure me already made for a) at least Kings-up or b) the AK flush. A good player would have put me on that range.

4) 6th street.. Worst card for me to catch for him.. but pot is big at this point so I guess I wont argue with his call.

5) I think his raise sucked.. I think MY not re-raising sucked worse. ( cause I had him on a flush draw the whole time ) I just didn't trust my read figuring who in the hell is going to raise that board. I guess it will be a while b4 I play 40-80. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

CJ