Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 01:30 PM

Default A3o

Canterbury 15/30 (9 handed)
MP is a loose donk. Button is a TAG who plays pretty well. BB is rockish.

MP open limps, Button raises, I call in the SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], BB folds, MP calls.

Flop (3 players)(7SB): 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check, MP checks, Button bets, I raise, MP folds, Button calls.

Turn: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
I check, Button bets, I call

River: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I check, button bets, I raise, Button calls. Well?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Re: A3o

Postflop your play is good, preflop i think this is an easy muck.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:41 PM

The preflop call is pretty horrendous in my opinion.

Jeff
Old 07-28-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Postflop your play is good, preflop i think this is an easy muck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you fold the turn if you don't have a [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] here?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:44 PM

instantly muck the turn if no [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. i also agree the preflop call is bad.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The preflop call is pretty horrendous in my opinion.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the fact that it is a 2/3 blind structure change your opinion?
Old 07-28-2005, 01:52 PM

No. In fact, it is calls like this that accelerate the losing for bad players (not saying you're one) at 2 chip, 3 chip structures. They think they can play many more hands out of the small than they actually can. As for the situation itself....you noticed the good player was isolating an obvious idiot. So you decided to play. But even so, many hands he would raise with dominate your A3. Plus even if he raised something like K10 or KJ, your hand will be difficult to play out of position against someone who plays well. If an ace flops, you will be a payoff machine to any decent ace he'd raise or you won't extract much out of him if he missed. Also, if you totally miss the flop you will likely lose even if he missed also b/c of his position and his ability. Basically, there is no reason to get involved in this hand.

Jeff
Old 07-28-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No. In fact, it is calls like this that accelerate the losing for bad players (not saying you're one) at 2 chip, 3 chip structures. They think they can play many more hands out of the small than they actually can. As for the situation itself....you noticed the good player was isolating an obvious idiot. So you decided to play. But even so, many hands he would raise with dominate your A3. Plus even if he raised something like K10 or KJ, your hand will be difficult to play out of position against someone who plays well. If an ace flops, you will be a payoff machine to any decent ace he'd raise or you won't extract much out of him if he missed. Also, if you totally miss the flop you will likely lose even if he missed also b/c of his position and his ability. Basically, there is no reason to get involved in this hand.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Good stuff right there, I couldn't agree more.

lf
Old 07-28-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

So, even if I play well postflop, I should muck this without a 2nd thought? Does your opinion change if there were a few limpers and then the raise?
Old 07-28-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

So, even if I play well postflop, I should muck this without a 2nd thought? Does your opinion change if there were a few limpers and then the raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your missing the point Bob. The problem with this particular hand is the solid player that has position on you, and likely has you dominated. Remember that profit in poker, be it over the term of your life or an individual hand, doesn't come from your "ability to play well". It comes from the difference in skill between you and your opponent. We know the primary opponent in this hand plays well, and isn't going to give you action when you hit the flop harder then he does. There is just very little room for profit in this situation as you are OOP against a good player that probably has better cards and initiative.

If there are a few limpers it might be closer, but then again if there are more players the LP raiser probably would'nt be raising light (as he may be here), and then you are definately dominated.

In an unraised pot, go for it, but I can't think of a situation where this hand is playable.

lf