Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 09-30-2005, 11:25 PM

Default Re: Foxwoods 2/4: $10 an hour? (kinda long)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
$10 per hour is a very difficult objective

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe so, but they play reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal bad

[/ QUOTE ]

In limit holdem no matter how bad someone plays they almost always cant make a mistake that costs more than 1 bet, and rarely can they make one that actually is worth -1.00. There is a limit to a theoretical winrate since you still do need to showdown the best hand. In your specific situation you are also paying an absurd rake. Anyone who makes $10 an hour there is either a liar or an idiot who should be playing higher.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hand 2:

Three limpers, a near-maniacal LAGtard raised on the button (he's raised preflop the last 4 or 5 hands and played very aggressively), I three-bet out of the SB with A J , he caps, we all call, like 5 or 6 way action.

Flop A-3-3 rainbow. Checked all the way to him, he bets, I raise, one player stays in, he three-bets, we call.

Turn Q. We check, he bets, I call, other guy folds.

River A. I bet, he instantly auto-raises, I just call because we are obviously splitting the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cap it. If im not mistaken Foxwoods rake is not taken out of each pot...its taken every 30 minutes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every 30 minutes in NL. But in low limits they automatically take rake from every pot. At 4-8 they take 2 dollars out no matter what, and then 10% up to 4 dollars.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:10 AM

$5/hr at best. You're talking 35 hands/hour, dealer tokes (unless your friend is a tightwad; Then, they'll treat him bad), and a high rake. It sucks and is not feasible. Beat the 4/8 or 5/10 and it's like working walmart. 2/4...go on welfare
Old 10-01-2005, 06:46 AM

Beating a low limit game like this is very hard/impossible depending on the amount of rake. The calculations I came up with to justify this is as follows.

Say you win 1.5 BB/Hour which is generous at best, so you play for 8 hours in a session and you're up on average say $48 dollars per session, and for simplicities sake you win 1 pot an hour or just 8 total pots either way. And they take the near max for each pot. So in this case you're being raked $40ish (10% 5 max) so the rake is accounting for about half of your entire winnings(40/88). So I think if you can find a 2/4 game that has a smaller rake, say a 3 max(I don't know if these exist outside of the internet) then obviously 2/4 is very beatable, but I don't think you can outrun the rake at this limit in the long run.

Note: This doesn't include any Bad Beat Jackpots dollars, tipping etc.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone who makes $10 an hour there is either a liar or an idiot who should be playing higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never claimed that I have or could make $10/hr. It may not have been obvious from the original post, but I regularly play in and beat limits much, much higher than 2/4 both live and online. I am only sitting in it to help my friend who is brand new to poker and is starting at the lowest limit in the house. So the question isn't whether or not anyone "should" be playing higher, just whether or not an expert player could make $10 an hour in a really good 2/4 game loaded with bad playing low limit players. Clearly, I understand that sitting in the Foxwoods 2/4 isn't the most profitable way to make money for me or the best use of my time...
Old 10-02-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
$5/hr at best

[/ QUOTE ]

my long-run winrate HAS to be higher than this, no?
Old 10-02-2005, 04:57 PM

don't know...I'm from Illinois where, for all its negatives, commonly start the low limit at 5/10. Oh Oh Oh...so juicy at a 5/10. But, I know $25/hr wasn't possible there. I think $15/hr at best....that equals $6/hr at 2/4. I might have been harsh at $5/hr estimate, but it's to get the point across that this is a bad idea.