Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-06-2005, 11:52 PM

Default Couple marginal hands $5+.5 Stars

I come from the 6-max limit world, where the mantra is fastplaying and aggression. I've been messing around with 5+.5 1TTs on Stars and had fun with some weirdplay. What do you think of these hands?

Hand 1

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button (t1500)
SB (t1500)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
Hero (t1500)
MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)
CO (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls t20, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls t20, Button calls t20, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t100) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t100) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t20</font>, BB calls t20, Hero calls t20, CO folds, Button calls t20.

River: (t180) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t100</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t300</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to t500</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1460</font>, SB calls t960 (All-In).

Final Pot: t3100

Hand 2

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

SB (t2440)
Hero (t2755)
UTG (t2520)
MP (t1280)
CO (t3135)
Button (t1370)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t400</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2755</font>...

Hand 3

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG (t3120)
MP (t725)
Button (t2392)
SB (t2730)
Hero (t4533)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t150, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t450) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks.

Turn: (t450) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t150</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t500</font>, UTG folds, SB calls t350.

River: (t1450) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t1000</font>...

Hand 4

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

SB (t3195)
BB (t575)
UTG (t2392)
MP (t1080)
Hero (t6258)

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t1080</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t6258</font>... [remember BB is yet to act]
Old 12-06-2005, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Couple marginal hands $5+.5 Stars

Hand 1: I raise the turn. But the river looks fine, I'm never folding my hand here.

Hand 2: Somewhat read dependent, against a tight raiser I'd just fold. He'd have to be really (maniacally) loose for me to stick in half my stack in this spot.

Hand 3: I'd bet about 600 here, so he can still call with an 8 without being totally crippled.

Hand 4: Looks fine.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:01 AM

I'm still learning playing tourneys to take this for what it's worth (not much [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

Hand 1: I think I bet the flop with an Ace on the board and hope it hit someone. nh.

Hand 2: Do you have a read on the button and suspect a steal? I'm not sure I want to lose half my stack on a coin flip at best

Hand 3: Check behind on the river?

Hand 4: Looks fine
Old 12-07-2005, 12:02 AM

1: I'd bet flop, just because you probably get paid with AJ here on board. Slowplaying is a lot better on a T62 board or something like that, rainbow.

2: Read-dependent, looking for the fold equity or a really loose raiser.

3: Hm... Checking on this dry board may be good, but I think you get paid way too much just by betting your hands. .

4. This is easy.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:30 AM

1. Flop and turn are really bad. You need to bet and raise and stuff.

2. Depends on the button, but I fold most of the time.

3. If you aren't betting the flop (which I do more often than not), I like your line.

4. Standard.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You need to bet and raise and stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? The pot's 100 chips, nobody raised preflop. Do you think I'm going to get any action?

Isn't this a good time to slowplay?
Old 12-07-2005, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why? The pot's 100 chips, nobody raised preflop. Do you think I'm going to get any action?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think slowplaying is fine, but just to elaborate a little on the argument for betting and raising: Players at 5+.50 call way too much. This is frustrating at times because you can't bluff them, but you more than make up for it by betting and raising your good hands, because they'll call you. Making a small bet on the flop to build the pot is probably worth considering. If no one is willing to call even a small bet on the flop, you are probably not going to get much action, regardless of what comes on the turn.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I check here most of the time--not because I don't want to get chips into the pot (I do), but because CO or button will usually take a stab at the pot. When the action gets back to me, I can evaluate whether or not I should raise (in order to thin the field) or to just smooth call and try to get it in on a later street. When you come out and bet right away, you can't manage the pot as well.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. The best way to play a big pot with a big hand is usually to bet and raise. Sure, once in a while you get lucky when someone makes trips on the river and is willing to put their stack in the middle. More often you end up winning a small pot after giving the field two chances to outdraw you on the cheap.

Betting the flop is important because we need to start pot building. The flop includes an A and a J, and you have 4 opponents. Contrast this board with the other hand where you flopped trip Qs. The argument for slowplaying is much more pursuasive on that hand. Here, the flop is very likely to have hit somebody who is willing to call a bet. Bet half the pot. You'll get called by an A, a J, a gutshot, or all kinds of crap at the $5 level. If you're lucky you might even get raised. Now that we've built a pot, we can get even more chips in on the turn.

Your 6-max instincts would serve you well on this hand, I believe.
Old 12-07-2005, 03:09 AM

Hands 2 and 4 look good to me...

As for hand 1.... I don't like how you played it...It worked out in the end 'cuz a donk caught his third jack and figured he was golden. (you didn't lose to AJ did you? thats rare in these tourneys anyways.)...I would say you probably shoulda led the flop, though a weak lead is fine. Donked the turn off (check/cheap bet) and valued the river...Sure - maybe you don't stack the guy THIS TIME...but overall a strategy like that will win more I think.

Hand 3
Looks like villian has the 8 or a busted draw. I think you raised too much on the turn if you're checing the flop. Aren't you screaming out your trips? Heres a spot I small-raise (sometimes click min-raise even) and value the river. Value it highish if you want the aggro bluff look you seem to be going for.

Overall not horrible for the 5s.