Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 07:58 PM

Default two mid pairs vs LAGs

Two mid pair hands vs lags. My line is 90% passive besides one donk bet. Good line? Anyone see a raise out there?

Villain is 34/26

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls.

considered capping, but decided to see the flop first.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

only 1 overcard, I like my chances vs a lag.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, Hero calls.

picked up OESD, how do you like the donk here?

River: (8.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Just have one low pair here, but pot is decent and there is only 1 overcard. Easy call?

------------------------------------------------

This villain is to the immediate left of the first LAG. THis guy is 51/25.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, UTG calls, MP2 folds, CO calls, Hero calls.

Good raise here pf? Or close between just calling?

Flop: (13.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, CO calls, Hero calls.

just one overcard, CO is a loose flop caller

Turn: (8.25 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

picked up a gutshot and 8 isnt a scare card

River: (10.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 12.25 BB
Old 12-06-2005, 08:21 PM

Default Re: two mid pairs vs LAGs

I'd check-raise the flop in hand 1. If you're 3-bet, it is the cheapest way to find out you're behind while also maximizing your earn when you're ahead. You'll call down if 3-bet but probably fold if an ace or king slides off.

I like the preflop raise in hand 2 because of the presence of the poster and it might get you a free look at the turn. If you flop a set, the pot is bigger and opponents who are drawing dead will pay you off with weak hands. I kinda like the way you played it postflop, but I might raise the flop, bet the turn, and bet the river. If 3-bet on the flop, call down. I'd want to show this down unless an ace or king shows up.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:40 PM

I personally don't like the turn bet after check-calling the flop in the first hand. That's such a crappy board that I think an aggressive player will have no qualms about raising you there with a hand you're ahead of, thinking you're getting cute with overcards. I'd probably just call down.

I think the second hand is okay. I'm not sure there's any point/value in a raise anywhere post-flop. Pre-flop I would probably just limp, but I can see the reasoning behind a raise.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:00 PM

My standard line against a LAG with midpair or Ace high is to get to showdown as cheaply as possible. Unless its painfully clear that I'm beaten.

I think you played the second hand perfectly.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:32 AM

Buck-
I don't think checkraising the flop is good at all because getting 3bet gives us almost no information.

OP-
I don't like the turn donk in hand 1, what were you hoping to accomplish? I don't think he's ever folding a six out hand, he's raising with almost every single better hand, and he's raising enough with worse hands that you won't want to fold if you miss. Nothing wrong with playing these "second pair" hands passively. In hand one I would have just checked and called I think, bettign the next street if he checks.

In hand 2 I think you're line is fine as long as it includes folding the turn if CO calls again.