Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-05-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Ugly River Card in Big Pot Out of Position

This is in Level 1 of the Party $500k guranteed. I played one hand against this opponent where I raised to $55 (blinds 10 and 15) with AQs, he called out of the BB. The flop was 7 high with one diamond. I bet $100 and he min CR'd. I folded and he showed KK.

I started the hand with $1,330 and he had about $1,800.

I open limped for $15 in MP with Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and he raised to $55 on the button. Everyone folded back to me and I called.

Pot is $135.

Flop was 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

I checked, he bet $15 (???). I CR to $150 and he calls.

Pot is $435.

Turn is 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

I bet $375. He calls.

Pot is $1,185. I have $750 left and he has $1,220.

River is J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] for a final board of 8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].

What is you play?
Old 12-05-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Ugly River Card in Big Pot Out of Position

Hero pushes and smiles when villian shows him 88+ or hurls when he shows ATd - I expect to see a set or AA here - from his perspective you were doing a fine job building the pot from behind and there was no reason to upset that (which is what he'd view he did w/ his KK). Obviously, from his view your range is a whole lot wider than the QJ and he expects he's ahead.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:44 PM

that is a gross card. at this point you're just hoping villian has something like JT or JJ... hmph.

i think pushing is a mistake (you're not going to get called by many hands you are ahead of with four to a straight and three to a flush on the board), but I'm unsure about what to do if you check and villian pushes. i think i call, but i'm wavering. sick turn card though.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:03 PM

His small bet on the flop may be simply to gauge where you're at in relation to a flop that would be scary for him no matter what he held. He calls your large bet on the turn, which suggests to me that he is not on a flush draw, because even the simplest of players cannot call a bet this size with one card to come. It seems more like he is playing cautiously with a flopped set or overpair. He may also have hit his straight with Q-Q. As far as how to play now, I don't think you need to be worried about being beat by a flush here, because your lagre bet on the turn should have chased away a flush draw. Only specifically the KdQd may have called you here. I would probably push here.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Thoughts and Results

Preflop: I think is standard with big stacks.

Flop: I think it is the perfect board to CR. I don't really care about free cards as any hand that is drawing against me will almost definitely bet the flop. His small flop bet seemed a little strange, either nothing or a monster. I decided to CR the pot hoping it is the monster and if he has just an AK or something, I am probably not getting much action given this board even if he does imrpove on the turn.

Turn is a complete blank. I decide to bet slightly less than the pot. If he is on a flush draw, I obviously want him to pay the max. IT also looks like a protecting bet, and it might get an overpair to come over the top. He just flat calls. I think his hand range here shrinks. I don't think he can have a set as I would expect a set to raise given the draw nature of this board. I think he either has JJ+ or AdJd+.

River - very ugly card. Here is my thinking in the 20 seconds I get. I can't fold this hand, even to a push if I check, so I might as well push and hope I can get an overpair or strangely played set to call. The more I think about it though, I think a check fold MIGHT be right. Is he really going to bet any worse hand here? That is a really scary board and he is most likely checking behind with any worse hand and only betting the flush. Now if he had QQ which is the least likely since I have a Q, I would be losing half the pot.

Alternatives: One player I asked like a turn HUGE overbet as you will most likely get action from an overpair or set as it looks like you are overbetting flush draw or pair plus draw hand. It also prevents this uncomfortable river situation as a side note.

Another liked a check call as he thought worse hands are probably not calling the river, but worse hands might bluff (or value bet given my river check weakness) the river (AdAx). Also, he thought he might bet less than all-in even with a flush to not scare you which would allow you to keep some chips.

RESULTS: I pushed because again, I am weak and cant find a fold there and thought it was better to bet than call the river. HE called and had AdQd and MHWNG.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:08 AM

Default Re: Thoughts and Results

I think this early in the tournament you can get away from this hand. I would make a $100 bet on this river and fold to a push. It leaves you in the Yellow zone with plenty of time to recoup, and will get a call from almost any weaker made hand.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this early in the tournament you can get away from this hand. I would make a $100 bet on this river and fold to a push. It leaves you in the Yellow zone with plenty of time to recoup, and will get a call from almost any weaker made hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol
Old 12-06-2005, 01:16 AM

Good one.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Good one.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought you were making a joke cause it was funny
Old 12-06-2005, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good one.

[/ QUOTE ]

i thought you were making a joke cause it was funny

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you were having a snide laugh at my bad advice. That's fine. I'm here to learn. Carry on.