Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-02-2005, 06:30 PM

Default $22 - How badly did I botch this set??

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero (t695)
Button (t462)
SB (t675)
BB (t925)
UTG (t810)
UTG+1 (t1805)
MP1 (t526)
MP2 (t1340)
MP3 (t762)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Hero calls t30, Button calls t30, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t120) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: (t120) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t30</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, Button folds, SB calls t70.

River: (t320) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero is all in(t565)

Should I have...
A) bet the flop
B) raised more on the turn
C) checked the river

Final Pot: t320
Old 12-02-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: $22 - How badly did I botch this set??

A
Old 12-02-2005, 06:36 PM

Why on earth are you pushing this river? Do you think you will be called by anything less than a straight on that board? And also, bet the flop with 4 players in the pot. And raise the turn more, so A, B and C

Hmm, pushing isnt quite as bad if you think an 8 will fold, but i wouldn't count on it.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:38 PM

yeah i bet the flop.

and why push the river? a king's not folding and other hands that you beat like two pair are folding.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:45 PM

very badly [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

bet the flop

bet/raise turn

check riva
Old 12-02-2005, 06:47 PM

This hand was the result of some uncontrolled tilt. Yes, I'm an idiot. [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 12-02-2005, 06:49 PM

Ouch!

We've all slowplayed ourselves into the sewer on similar hands, so regard this mostly as a "Note to Self."

1. Bet the usual 3x BB or so preflop. You've got a fine hand to play h/u, and its not the worst thing just to bet now and to collect the blinds. Plus if there are overcards on the flop, it would be nice to have the button out of the way and be the last to act. This way you're giving the BB three free cards to outdraw you. And you're making it awfully easy for the SB to do the same if he's got a single overcard. Most of your later problems can be solved here.

Flop. Sure looks nice. Time to start building the pot. Bet T60 or T90. There are enough gutshot/overcard/one-pair possibilities here that you should get some action.

Turn. If you'd already been betting, you should be h/u by now. Let's assume only the SB calls and he then bets out. raise him. if he plays back, you need to figure out if he might have KT or T8. I'm not wise enough to know the answer. but . .

The river is a nightmare. you've given five essentially free cards to people, and you now are looking at a board w/ a single card OESD. Any K or 8 has you crushed. On pure random chance, it's about an 18% chance that your opponent has one. Your actual danger is probably a little higher. And weak hands won't call your push.

Check behind and hope your set is good. Betting now only gets you action from better hands (and maybe a few 2 pairs.)
Old 12-02-2005, 07:57 PM

i think you can raise preflop here.

i know the general consensus for the 800 chip SNGs is in the first few levels, lay back, setmine, bet/CB your big preflop hands, etc. but that doesn't mean, in my opinion, you can just totally neglect position. if it folds to me in the CO, i'm definitely raising something along the lines of 88+, AT+, KQ+, and then there are a bunch of grey area hands that i may or may not raise with.

i think doing otherwise is giving up value, and i don't think that value is overcome by any metagame considerations, nor is the potential gain in chips by building pots with strong hands outweighed by the potential loss in bubble chips by missing or having your CB pwned.

the rest of the postflop advice has already been said, but i am putting off writing a memo so i'll say it again =P.

on the flop you just MUST BET! there are four players in the pot here. you're obviously getting called by any J, as well as any number of hands with an OESD, a gutshot... even A6! you gotta get some chips in that bad boy.

having checked the flop, your turn raise seems ok. having been called, that river push seems.. pretty bad =/ check it through. an 8 might fold with the push, but i dont think its worth RISKING YOUR TOURNAMENT LIFE to find out. (sorry, couldnt resist). seriously though, i think a push is bad here. there appear to be two potential lines: 1) check it through; or 2) bet 150-175ish/fold to CR.

ok. this is a long post. hope it wasnt total drivel.
Old 12-02-2005, 09:17 PM

Bet somewhat small on the flop, you need to build the pot.
On the turn I would reraise t130-180 because there is a very possible strait draw or hit strait, and you need to find out where you are at.
On the river I dont know if I like a bet, let alone a push. What hands is he calling with that you have beat?
Old 12-02-2005, 09:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Should I have...
A) bet the flop
B) raised more on the turn
C) checked the river

Final Pot: t320

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, yes, and yes [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]