Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-01-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Regarding raise size for AA in levels 1/2

I was just pondering this, and I could be waaay off, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

In the early stages of lower limit STTs (11-55), when I open-raise EP with AA, I find that I almost always lose my stack when the one of the 1 or 2 callers flop a set. I can’t ever seem to lay it down, since 90% of those players will come over the top of you when they hit their top pair on the flop.

If they have a pair, and they will for sure get my stack if they hit their set, they don’t know it but they have odds to call with as much as 1/8 of their stack heads up (so a 125 chip raise in the first few hands of the 10/15 level). So does it ever become “correct” to make a preflop raise of more than 1/8 of their stack to force them into making a mistake here? Or does the expected value of putting in a normal raise in relation to the blind size and losing to a set even out because of the times when they’ll dump a bunch of chips with just top pair?

It looks and feels unnatural to open with a raise like that in level 1, but I just don’t feel like I’m forcing the pairs to make a mistake. I'm just sick of all these 10th places with my AA and tryin' to see if I can plug a leak.

Thoughts?
Old 12-01-2005, 08:25 PM

Default Re: Regarding raise size for AA in levels 1/2

By making a normal raise you are making hands like AK KQ etc come into the pot and loose alot to you if they hit TP.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:26 PM

I often play aces from EP in the early levels the same way I play AK: limp, re-raise. It stands to reason that the same dopes that will call your push with 88 when you have AK will also do so when you have aces. (You don't have to necessarily push, but at least put in a healthy re-raise.)

Nobody at the lower buy-ins should be folding AA because they fear a set. The key thing is to make your opponents get as much money in pre-flop as possible.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:29 PM

If you both played the hands with the cards face up, it is a mistake for him to call a limp from you PF.

Getting a caller w/ your Aces is a good thing. This caller having a PP is ideal. Play around with pokerstove or the like vs. hands like TJs, etc.

You've obviously been on the bad side of randomness lately, but adjusting raise amounts - where the outcome is the PP NOT calling your PF raise is a mistake.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:30 PM

Exactly. Don't think about a small pair calling you everytime. If that was the case, sure, more than 125 would be the +EV play. But remember, you are getting called by a lot more than just smaller pairs. So, raise a standard raise. Typically at 10/15 though, I raise to about 70 or so because the implied odds are just too high for them otherwise.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:34 PM

Just for clarification, I also like a raise up to 60 or so as well. I just mean to say that I really like the limp, re-raise as well. You'd be amazed at the people who will get all in with AQ or worse, thinking that they can somehow push you off your hand after you just limp-raised. This is of course responding to your question as stated, for the lower levels.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:35 PM

If I open I usually make 4xBB in level 1 and 3xBB in level 2. I think raising to 45 in level 1 is too small and raising to 75 is too obvious.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:41 PM

If you raise AA you're hoping you'll get re-raised, so you can go allin. AA is a huge favorite pre-flop, but not that good a hand if it doesn't improve with deep stacks against several opponents. It needs to be played very cautiously in this situation.

You can play it like 45suited said; limp re-raise. This gives you a chance to get all-in if you're raised, and if not, it's easier to get away from if you don't like the flop or someone shows a lot of strength.

Once the blinds start to become more significant you can commit to it without it's improving as players will usually not have a hand better than TPTK.

Also the way you suggested playing it by making a big raise is reasonable. You could raise to 1/6th of the appropriate stack, and anyone who called would be making a mistake. The downside of this is you're likely to just win the blinds, and AA is too good to just win the blinds.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:46 PM

Ah, lots of good replies. I'll work on employing the limp/re-raise more often; you're so right about people calling those reraises and allins with AK/AQ.