Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 07:53 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default i open limped on the button

loose passive straightforward BB and SB. i open limp 22 on the button. k?

not much content here, just curious if its ok
Old 11-28-2005, 07:55 PM

Default Re: i open limped on the button

id rather do it with like 89 or something. 22 i really want at least one of them gone.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:55 PM

what else are you gonna openlimp here?
Old 11-28-2005, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
id rather do it with like 89 or something. 22 i really want at least one of them gone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this advice. 89o even has 1/3 equity, and does better multiway.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:56 PM

I fold. The hand sucks 3 handed.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:59 PM

I open limped T8s the other day, and I liked my decision.

The flop came K52, checked to me, I bet, scooped a pot [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 08:04 PM

I don't like it much. Sometimes you pick up the pot when people check to you (equal for all hands). But other than that, you want a hand that can make something postflop such that you can play back at people/make a hand.

I don't like the way 22 fits the second criteria. I'd much rather raise preflop and bet/bet/check behind if possible.

Krishan
Old 11-28-2005, 08:06 PM

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 38.1372 % 37.18% 00.96% { 22+, A2s+, K2s+, Q2s+, J2s+, T3s+, 95s+, 85s+, 75s+, 64s+, 54s, A2o+, K2o+, Q5o+, J7o+, T7o+, 97o+, 87o }
Hand 2: 31.8687 % 30.90% 00.97% { random }
Hand 3: 29.9941 % 29.65% 00.35% { 22 }

That represents a sb who calls with about 60% of his hands and a BB who calls 100%. Is this reasonable?

So if you raise, 40% you get it headsup against a random hand with position which you have about 50% equity against. This guy will make mistakes postflop by peeling the flop/turn and will not put you to the test much. Pretty sweet situation.

60% of the time that you raise the pot will be 3way and you will have about 29% equity. You'll be at a slight deficit but will have initiative and will still be able to profit from postflop mistakes made by your opponents (their mistakes will be less than if you had limped though).

This does not take into account the fact that you will still get 3bet preflop by premium hands.

All in all, I think as long as your loose opponents are passive and not aggressive you should go ahead and raise. If they are loose and aggressive, I think you should fold.

Is this a sb that calls 100%?
Old 11-28-2005, 08:16 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

when i say loose passive i mean they were loooooooooooose and passive. i dont remember the numbers but one was around 78/1 and the other 70/5 or something.

there are a few reasons why i did it. first of all, its going to be very easy to read their hands. in an unraised pot, i would guess that theyd always bet top pair and sometimes middle pair. if i raise preflop, they will check to the raiser and i will have to take shots at the pot. then im stuck blasting twice and hoping my hand is good. i think i have a significant edge postflop, by having position and knowing what they have. plus, i can beat any busted draw or A high at showdown.

i think opponents like this are great for doing this against. maybe 22 was a poor selection (though as of now i favor it over calling or folding) though. theres a lot to be said for keeping the pot small here. when im behind i ahve an easy fold. when im ahead they are getting terrible drawing odds. and further, i can usually do the right thing since its an unraised pot
Old 11-28-2005, 08:18 PM

the problem with raising is i dont want to build a pot. i want to be able to take it down on the flop or offer them bad odds if they want to chase. by raising i give them better chasing odds and they will instinctively check to me 3 times, possibly even if they flop top pair