Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-10-2005, 08:55 PM

Default Are we done with the pennies yet?

Are we done with the [censored] pennies yet?

Because it is time. The American public hasn’t been using them for about a decade. They have become so worthless, that people give them to each other as a matter of routine. Get your change, pick out the pennies, and leave them there for the next guy. Need a penny or two? Well, there should be a few there for you, because the last guy sure as [censored] didn’t want his. That’s the game.

I hate when stores don’t want to play by the game. If a store doesn’t have a little tray, I am immediately annoyed. The hell if I’m fishing another dollar out of my pants because it came to $5.02. When that cash register rings up $5.02 and you look at me, we’re fixing to have a long staredown. I’ll return an item before I break another dollar and let you give me three more of the [censored] things in return. And that item probably had a profit margin of at least $.03 to you, so who’s the loser now? Get it? As long as they’re still around, you better play by the game.

If there is no tray, my normal routine has become to fish through my change and immediately pick them out and deposit them into the trash. Not only are they worthless, but they are disgusting. Most have been in circulation for 20 years, and as the stepchild of your change purse, they have been given no love. They live in ashtrays, parking lots, and huge jars owned by 72 year old men who remember when they were worth something. Old copper is gross enough to start with. Add to the fact that they are covered in gum and [censored] and filth, and you need to wash your hands every time one touches you.

Think about this: a stamp costs $0.37. 37 pennies weigh 6 ounces. It takes about two stamps to mail 6 ounces of stuff. Therefore, if I wanted to mail someone 37 cents in pennies, it would cost me 74 cents. By my definition, it’s pretty clear cut. When a monetary unit can’t afford to mail itself, it’s worthless. Don’t get all cocky either, nickels…….you aren’t far behind. (I don’t really know how much 37 pennies weigh, that was just a guess. I have a scale in my office, and would find out, but I can’t. I threw out all my [censored] pennies. Just trust me though….I’m right on this general principal. I know by instinct that they can’t mail themselves.)

Have you ever tried to give one to a bum? Seriously. I almost got in a fight in San Francisco over the fact that I gave a bum some pennies. The man had no home, was hungry, cold, and hopeless, yet when I gave him a handful of pennies, he tried to spit on me. Fortunately, his lack of front teeth seriously affected his saliva-aiming abilities and I easily dodged the projectile, but nonetheless.

Isn’t this enough evidence for Alan Greenspan and the Fed to say enough is enough? I now summarize my case:

1. Pennies are considered worthless, even by homeless people
2. Pennies are disgusting
3. Pennies can’t even mail themselves
4. Americans are actually giving them to strangers, like some nationwide game of hot potato

Case Closed. Please, Federal Reserve, I beg you. End the game.

I’m done with the [censored] pennies.

--Sully--
Old 11-10-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Are we done with the pennies yet?

i think a big issue with pennis is that people just keep throwing them into a jar or whatever at home and they arent being used, so the government has to make a bunch more and [censored]. probably costs a lot to keep them in circulation.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:58 PM

Pennies are the dandruff of our monetary system.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:00 PM

You know you are worthless when vending machines won't take you. I had six pennies in my pockets the other night and was going to throw them out, but decided not to but didn't really have a reason.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:00 PM

This is eerie. I bought a bag of pretzels yesterday and it was $3.01. I actually considered coming back to work and posting a 'What's my play?" thread.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:01 PM

A penny weighs 2.5 grams. 37 pennies weigh 92.5 grams or 3.26 ounces.

For first class letter mail, the USPS charges 37 cents for the first ounce and 23 cents for each subsequent ounce (or portion of an ounce) so you're looking at $1.06 in postage for your 37 pennies.

Thanks to The U.S. Mint and The USPS
Old 11-10-2005, 09:04 PM

I agree that pennies are worthless, and the government should consider doing away with them. However....

[ QUOTE ]
I hate when stores don’t want to play by the game. If a store doesn’t have a little tray, I am immediately annoyed. The hell if I’m fishing another dollar out of my pants because it came to $5.02. When that cash register rings up $5.02 and you look at me, we’re fixing to have a long staredown. I’ll return an item before I break another dollar and let you give me three more of the [censored] things in return. And that item probably had a profit margin of at least $.03 to you, so who’s the loser now? Get it? As long as they’re still around, you better play by the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a [censored]. The cashiers at most stores are held accountable for thier tills and if they let everyone short them $0.01-$0.03 they would come up with signigicant discrepancies. I've had a lot of experience with asswipes who act like children in stores because they think they can round prices down when the price is $XX.02 and get all pissed off about having to break a dollar.

There's a reason most stores don't have a penny tray, it's because it is poor cash management and loss prevention policy to have money sitting out in a cashwrap area.

[ QUOTE ]
As long as they’re still around, you better play by the game

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you want to exist in a society that uses pennies, you had better play by the game and instead of treating people like [censored] when you shop, take you douchebaggery elsewhere.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:05 PM

Very nice post.

[ QUOTE ]
my normal routine has become to fish through my change and immediately pick them out and deposit them into the trash.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto.

[ QUOTE ]
When a monetary unit can’t afford to mail itself, it’s worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great quote - still laughing. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You know you are worthless when vending machines won't take you. I had six pennies in my pockets the other night and was going to throw them out, but decided not to but didn't really have a reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an extremely good point that need to be included in the list of arguments.

[ QUOTE ]
A penny weighs 2.5 grams. 37 pennies weigh 92.5 grams or 3.26 ounces.

For first class letter mail, the USPS charges 37 cents for the first ounce and 23 cents for each subsequent ounce (or portion of an ounce) so you're looking at $1.06 in postage for your 37 pennies.

Thanks to The U.S. Mint and The USPS

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew I was right about this. Even more ridiculous than I thought. Thanks for the freaky fast internetting.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are a [censored]. The cashiers at most stores are held accountable for thier tills and if they let everyone short them $0.01-$0.03 they would come up with signigicant discrepancies. I've had a lot of experience with asswipes who act like children in stores because they think they can round prices down when the price is $XX.02 and get all pissed off about having to break a dollar.

There's a reason most stores don't have a penny tray, it's because it is poor cash management and loss prevention policy to have money sitting out in a cashwrap area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. You don't understand the game. The till is not off, and nobody gets shorted. When there is a tray full of pennies, the correct change is put into the cash register, and it balances at the end of the day.

And I never would expect for someone to pay for my extra $.02. I told you, I'd give an item back. If they play the game, it solves this problem. Everyone is a winner, but it is a ridiculous exercise that can be done without.

Get off your high horse. I'm sorry that you are angry about your cashier's job. I had that job myself once, and the penny tray made everything hunky dory, although pointless.

Good luck tomorrow at the till, and wash your hands often.