Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 11:44 PM

Default I am an idiot.

I'm a 17-year old high school senior, and I am an idiot. I do very well in school, am a National Merit Scholar, a winning poker player, but I am an idiot.

I lose things all the time. I can't find anything, ever. I'm completely unorganized and at times unmotivated. I can't eat food without spilling it on myself (although I've improved drastically in this area in the last year). When my parents ask me to do a simple chore or task, I nod mindlessly but never get what they ask done. I don't speak clearly although I attribute this to the braces I wear. I can't tie knots, even if someone shows me how to. My mind simply can't do it. I occasionally make attempts to reform myself, but I subsequently revert back to my old ways.

If I consciously make an effort to reform myself, can I change? Or am I destined for idiocy?
Old 10-20-2005, 11:47 PM

Default Re: I am an idiot.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a 17-year old high school senior, and I am an idiot. I do very well in school, am a National Merit Scholar, a winning poker player, but I am an idiot.

I lose things all the time. I can't find anything, ever. I'm completely unorganized and at times unmotivated. I can't eat food without spilling it on myself (although I've improved drastically in this area in the last year). When my parents ask me to do a simple chore or task, I nod mindlessly but never get what they ask done. I don't speak clearly although I attribute this to the braces I wear. I can't tie knots, even if someone shows me how to. My mind simply can't do it. I occasionally make attempts to reform myself, but I subsequently revert back to my old ways.

If I consciously make an effort to reform myself, can I change? Or am I destined for idiocy?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Most of what you're describing is typical behaviour for a teenager.
2) You're too self-conscious (see #1).
Old 10-20-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a 17-year old high school senior

there's your problem. give it time.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:52 PM

you sound like an A-typical nerd/geek/dork. Sucks right now but take heart. In a few years you will have a great job in a challenging career full of opportunities. Your life will be filled with success and achievement, men will respect and fear you. The world will be your oyster.

Start working out regularly now.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:53 PM

My wife and I raised 3 kids. Our grandkids are around your age. You sound pretty normal to me.

You may have a medical problem, but probably not. ADD? I know that's a controversial subject. Inner ear problem could be contributing to sense of balance being off, if that's what you're describing.

You've expressed yourself well. Good luck to you.

[img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2005, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Its funny cause its true.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:57 PM

Everyone's an idiot when they're seventeen. It will pass.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I see where you're coming from but I'm in good shape and have been an athlete all my life. I work out around three times a week and bench around 120 (stand at 6'1, 160) and have an ok/average social life.

Thanks for the comments though. I'm probably just in a depressed mood or somethimg, and like some have said, I'm 17.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:01 AM

Listen to [censored] in all things.
Old 10-21-2005, 12:01 AM

You'll be okay. It's quite common to be a little uncoordinated and inept until you get through high school and some time into college. Don't worry about it too much. Make lots of notes for yourself, start putting your keys in the same place if that's what you lose and start wearing a bib.