Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip

Old 05-29-2005, 09:11 PM

Default Who the best and worst tippers?? (For Dealers, but anyone is welcome

I've been working at BAllys Poker room for 3 weeks and I've come to my personal observation of who are the best and worst tippers...

1) Young Asian Males (By far the best; Doesn't matter what the pot is..they'll throw 3 or 4 bucks at a time)
2) Mid/Older Males
3) Women
4) Young White Males (By far are the worst, expecially if it's NL)

Thoughts??
Old 05-29-2005, 09:15 PM

Default Re: Who the best and worst tippers?? (For Dealers, but anyone is welcome

Who smell the worst?
Old 05-29-2005, 09:50 PM

Default Re: Who the best and worst tippers?? (For Dealers, but anyone is welcome

You probably won't get to experience this at Bally's. But, tipping gets worse the higher in limits you deal.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Who the best and worst tippers?? (For Dealers, but anyone is welco

OK.

I don't want to start a flamewar or anything here (honest!), but I have to ask.

Tipping a waitress is often argued as correct "to insure promptness" or "to insure prompt service" or whatever.

But a dealer??

What's he going to do - give you better cards if you tip him? Or is it going to be like some kind of socially-acceptable extortion where he is more likely to "accidentally" scoop your hand into the muck if you're a bad/non-tipper (sort of like how some people say you should tip waiters/waitresses "or else they'll piss in your food" or something along those lines).

The only reasons I can see why people tip dealers are therefore a) not to look cheap in front of the other players (social pressure); and/or b) empathy or pity (arising out of a concern because they realize that dealers rely heavily on tips, in which case that makes for a very interesting contrast - the cold-hearted poker player who'd bust his own grandmother if she got into a pot with him, yet feels compelled to toss a piece of each pot he wins to someone who agreed to work for X an hour on his own volition with the understanding that tips may or may not come).

Any thoughts on this?
Old 05-29-2005, 10:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any thoughts on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're cheap?
Old 05-29-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any thoughts on this?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're cheap?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I've never played in a B&M cardroom, so I've never even been given the opportunity to tip a dealer before.

Also, while you are of course free to post whatever you want, I politely requested for thoughts on this topic, not braindead comments that you were apparently too lazy to provide evidence or argument for or even to construct a banal joke around. Thanks for playing anyway, though.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:48 PM

Hi balt999:

Your post is the sort of thing that has always irritated me about many cardrooms and the attitudes that many cardroom employees have. Instead of trying to figure out who tips the most and who tips the least, you should be concentrating on what you need to do to maximize your tips. You should discover that the better you do your job, regardless of of who might be in your game, the more you will make in tip money.

best wishes,
Mason
Old 05-30-2005, 12:09 AM

Ok, so what you're saying is you're irritated by posts or discussions that are about any aspect of a dealer's experience other than the dealers maximizing their own profits? Even on the NVG forum of 2+2?

Are dealers allowed to post or think about baseball? What about Hold'em strategy? Naked women? Or should all their time be solely devoted to maximizing their tips?

He may be able to make more by spending his time trying to become more efficient and a more tip-worthy dealer than he would by doing other things (where "other things" includes posting on 2+2 for the purpose of personal enjoyment) but I think your being "irritated" by the post is unreasonable.
Old 05-30-2005, 12:17 AM

I think when dealers deal they should concentrate on dealing. It seems like some of them want to concentrate on anything but dealing, and then they complain, and sometimes quite loudly, about how bad the players treat them.

MM
Old 05-30-2005, 01:09 AM

It's simply the accepted practice. Tipping waitresses may have started as something done To Insure Prompt Service, but it is no longer the case.