Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2005, 05:35 PM

Default Getting rolled by the slowplayers

Just checking up if this situation is common or just a rough streak of variance--

Recently I've lost a chunk of BB's to people who are slowplaying big pairs by limping with JJ+ or just calling a raise in any position. If I end up hitting something like top pair or 2nd pair Ace kicker and a draw/bd draw, I end up overplaying it and this feels like a huge leak.

Should I start respecting the turn raise a lot more? THat's the decision point where I either pay 2+ BB's to show down, or just fold and be done with it.
Old 12-28-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: Getting rolled by the slowplayers

That's exactly what I do. I consider the turn put up or shutup time. I've noticed a lot of slowplayers with AA KK QQ lately also, and when I get beat with them I realize it's no different than being hit with a slowplayed set.

I think I fold a little too often on the turn, but I also stop a lot of bleeding early on.

But look at it this way. Sometimes your just going to get beat, so don't take it too bad. I console myself by saying that at least they lost money on the flop and preflop.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just checking up if this situation is common or just a rough streak of variance--

Recently I've lost a chunk of BB's to people who are slowplaying big pairs by limping with JJ+ or just calling a raise in any position. If I end up hitting something like top pair or 2nd pair Ace kicker and a draw/bd draw, I end up overplaying it and this feels like a huge leak.

Should I start respecting the turn raise a lot more? THat's the decision point where I either pay 2+ BB's to show down, or just fold and be done with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very situational thing. You'd probably do better to post some questionable hands.
Old 12-28-2005, 08:10 PM

i agree that this sort of thing is read-dependent. i've been checking the showdown hands for a lot of these 40/2/1.2 types. if it shows that they raised with AA-JJ once out of ten, it's real easy to catch. even if it's only five times out of ten, but then you gotta look at them more closely, because they may slowplay it when it's already isolated and HU.

the thing with these players, is that most of them can't really laydown KK-JJ when you actually hit your ace. they go for the turn raise.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a very situational thing. You'd probably do better to post some questionable hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. However the problem has come up when I don't have a good read on the player (like within the first couple orbits of a table). My default play has been to take it to showdown, since as we all know some 6-max players will show the most absurd hands at showdown, so I expect my hand to hold up at least some of the time. I was thinking about changing my default play to be more passive, with the goal of just getting to showdown cheaply until I have a better read.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. However the problem has come up when I don't have a good read on the player (like within the first couple orbits of a table). My default play has been to take it to showdown, since as we all know some 6-max players will show the most absurd hands at showdown, so I expect my hand to hold up at least some of the time. I was thinking about changing my default play to be more passive, with the goal of just getting to showdown cheaply until I have a better read.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you don't have a read it's situational. Some things I would consider: What exactly do you have? What does the board look like? 66J3r is a lot different then QT58 two-tone. What limit do you play? You also might try out your opponent’s strategy sometimes. I suggest you read though this thread on call/CR blind defense. This might help you counter the strategy if you understand it better.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:43 AM

As leader wrote, turn texture is clutch.

Still though, seeking to develop an overarching strategy based on the opposition's silly play in a few cases where you were on the short end of it and/or allowing this to affect your approach (psychologically and otherwise) is detrimental to your game.