Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 05:28 PM

Default 2nd pair - river line

Trying to get back into short-handed. Feels like there is more to be won than full ring.

New to table so no reads. Assume normal bad players

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (3 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, MP calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

River: (5.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ...

My first thought was to check/call to induce a bluff, or lose the least if he's got a queen. I don't like to bet/fold, but bet/call seems pretty awful.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Re: 2nd pair - river line

Unless you know that guy in last position bets a lot when checked to, you just need to go ahead and bet this flop. As for the river, bet/fold is fine. You'll be paid off by a 5, 9, or worse Jack here enough.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Feels like there is more to be won than full ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's what most people around here think.

As for the hand, I don't like the flop check-raise. There's no guarantee that MP will bet, and giving a free card here is no good with a hand as sensitive as yours. If you bet out, you give BB 4-1 odds, and with the check-raise, BB now has 3-1. Somehow I doubt BB has just 10 or 11 outs and will make the fold here. But I digress.

The way it was played, I can't imagine not betting the river. If you were beaten on the turn, you're beaten now. The Q doesn't change anything except that villain's two pair just got counterfeited, if that's what villain had. And if villain was hanging around for the BDFD, well, what are you gonna do? Bet, and if raised, a fold wouldn't be bad. Reads would help immensely with that decision though.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Unless you know that guy in last position bets a lot when checked to, you just need to go ahead and bet this flop. As for the river, bet/fold is fine. You'll be paid off by a 5, 9, or worse Jack here enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.