Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-29-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Re: i open limped on the button

[ QUOTE ]
if they both call i check the turn and fold the river. if one calls i bet the turn and check the river unless i have reason to believe he has and will call with A high. and ill usually fold if one of them bets. pretty simple, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

A player holding unpaired cards will miss the flop about 2 in 3 times.

Therefore, as a rough approximation, for two players holding unpaired cards, the flop will miss BOTH players about 4 times in 9. A majority of times, 5/9, somebody hits the flop and makes a pair.

Now add in the fact that LPPs with big overcards will peel on the turn exactly 100% of the time, as will LPPs holding Ace-rag, and they will make a pair much more often than you will spike a set.

And consider that any larger pair not only will go to showdown 100% of the time, but also they will crush your outs.

Bottom line, your hand is rarely good on the flop, and even less frequently good by the turn.

Your strategy has you folding the river a lot.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:40 AM

id only limp this if you had a read that the 2 opponents will only bet the flop if they have pairs and wont steal flops, then you can safely fold 22 against a bet. otherwise, youre just passing up the equity from the SB by raising a hand that is -ev hot and cold and probably reverse implied odds even though youre in position.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:49 AM

well stats wise 22 sucks for me in SH limit games so I either raise or fold but as you described your opponents I lean towards a raise.

That being said I have noticed a metagame part where when I do open limp in position (after constantly raising the blinds) it's much easier for me to steal pots without resistance (obviously the reduced odds makes it more viable for them to fold, but there is something else I can't put into words)

My english sucks but the whole point is sometimes giving the blinds a pass makes them more likely to concede pots (or less adamant about fighting for the pot)
Old 11-29-2005, 04:23 AM

I agree that if there is any possibility of getting sb to fold, then a raise is proper but with them being 75/1's I don't see this happening too often so i might tend to agree that limping isn't bad.

I find myself often times against these types firing away mindlessly with marginal holdings like this and have been pondering for awhile whether slowing down a little is optimal. All this info is helpful
Old 11-29-2005, 10:13 AM

Quote:
I open limped T8s the other day, and I liked my decision.

The flop came K52, checked to me, I bet, scooped a pot
I guess if you had raised you could have made more.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:17 PM

Hi Josh,

Sklansky talks about almost this exact situation in Hold'em Poker For Advanced Players in the short-handed section titled "When the Blinds are Very Loose" p197.

He argues that you should open limp from the button with hands like 22,33,76s,A6o when the blinds are very loose and highly likely to defend against your raise.

He says you run into trouble with a hand like A6o if you raise and both blinds call. That the hand is not worth much if it misses the flop and that because of this you don't want to invest so much money before the flop when you know you have little chance in stealing the blinds.

He says another reason to open limp on the button with hands like 22,33,76s,A6o is something that you already mentioned. That you are more likely to steal the pot if they both check to you on the flop... and that you should always bet if they both check.

He says if you think you will steal the blinds preflop as much as 30% of the time, then you should raise... but if not he says that raising will usually hurt you.

Peace
Old 12-05-2005, 08:33 PM

22 is such a bad hand. You have 30.5% equity vs guys who dont fold with a hand where its extremely hard to know if you are ahead. Imo the value in 22 on the button is its ability to win the blinds which pretty much any other hand can do. Now when you cant do that I am folding it. Do this play with hands like 89o,J8o instead.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:40 PM

Josh,

A few weeks ago there was a post dealing with this exact problem. Did you miss it?

Preflop open limp on button

-Michael
Old 12-05-2005, 09:57 PM

where the hell have you been?