Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 05:06 AM

Default Re: Are we done with the pennies yet?

I cashiered for like 2 years in high school (only 20 now) and if it was like 1 or 2 cents over the dollar I'd just mess my drawer up the hell if I cared. I could be a dollar off and it was no big deal. Or I would even use my pennies because they are worthless. Why did a selfish person like myself do this? Because I know how much it sucks to get 4.98 back, you are just angry. So to the guy that managed cashiers you made a lot of peoples days crappy, nice job jerk.

Second to the guy that throws them, I do this all the time with my change sometimeseven nickels because my bedroom is up on a loft and there is a balcony overlooking the living room its perfect.

Finally, when I am drunk I tend to ask random trivia questions and give people like 4 cents if they get it right.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So to the guy that managed cashiers you made a lot of peoples days crappy, nice job jerk.

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone's entire day was made crappy by receiving 8 coins then they have more serious problems that worrying about pennnies.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:12 AM

whoever said 5 dollar coins is a moron. How often does change fall out of your damn pockets now imagine it being 15 dollars of change. I would be so pissed if this happened. Paper money was an advance in technology if you will. Coins suck. Also rolling pennies in parking lots to see whose can roll farther is fun.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:12 AM

I picked up my Pizza and breadsticks tonight and it came to 21.01, the cashier said, "don't worry about the penny."
Old 11-11-2005, 05:13 AM

maybe not the whole day but you cannot tell me that if you only have like a 20 on you and its 5.01 and you get 14.99 back you arent like what the [censored] dude. If you arent at least a little annoyed I am jealous of you because I will never know that feeling.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I get change at a convenience store, I give all of the pennies to the tray. For some reason I feel weird taking them though

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-11-2005, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
maybe not the whole day but you cannot tell me that if you only have like a 20 on you and its 5.01 and you get 14.99 back you arent like what the [censored] dude. If you arent at least a little annoyed I am jealous of you because I will never know that feeling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, then if you need quarters for something, or dollar bills, etc, then you don't need to ask for change!
Old 11-11-2005, 05:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are we done with the [censored] pennies yet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember reading about this several years ago. It costs government lots of money (hundreds of millions yearly if memory serves) to produce pennies, and as others have mentioned they usually end up in coffee cans (I have three large).

They aren't needed at the cashier. Every cash transaction can be rounded - i.e. a 2.07 purchase would be $2.05, a $2.08 purchase would be $2.10.

If the government stopped making them and they were no longer used in cash transactions there still would be two big problems:

1. There would be no good name for penny loafers.

2. The saying "a penny saved is a penny earned" wouldn't make sense (like it does now) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 11-11-2005, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Be jealous then. I can honestly say I've never gotten upset over getting change. I get my change, glance at the bills to see if it looks right, and the coins go straight in my pocket without a second thought.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Clearly I'm not an economist, but if something cost me less to produce than I could sell it for, I'm pretty sure I'd be churning them out as fast as possible. I realize that if I churn out way too many somethings, my somethings will be worth less, but if there is current demand, then I'm going to keep producing them.

[/ QUOTE ]

As for shoes or cars or widgets, you are right. As long as your profit margin per unit is still there, you can produce an infinite amount and still make money. This works for everything EXCEPT money.

Any time a country prints more money without removing the equivalent amount from circulation (all other things being equal), they have devalued their currency. This weakens their entire financial balance, and therefore power.

Do this enough, and your country becomes impoverished. Many, many countries have done exactly this, and paid the price. Ask your friends down in Central America how the 80's went.

*****Another disclaimer for generalization presented as fact..I don't remember specifically when inflation was at it's worst for them, but I know they went through some [censored] a while ago (maybe still today), and a good part of it was a result of bad Federal Reserve policies.*****

Look up inflation.