Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 10-03-2005, 09:28 AM

Default Coming to terms with PokerStove

When you plug in hands and get your showdown equity how do you apply this into a call/fold/raise?

Example: say you filter it for 3 handed against a raiser and a bad cold caller and you come up with equity numbers such as 45% for opponent 1 30% for you 25% for opponent 3.

Is there a way to calculate how much lower than your break even 33% you can go and still make money?
Old 10-03-2005, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Coming to terms with PokerStove

Not sure what you are looking for, but it should be fairly obvious that if you are putting in a third of the money and you only have 30% equity, you are looking at a -EV proposition.

Obviously, if you have something like a flush draw and will be probably extract more when you hit than you have to put in when you don't, then <33% equity can still be profitable.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:27 AM

If you're looking only at a preflop situation PokerStove isn't really going to give you what you're looking for. PokerStove runs a hot/cold simulation where its equity and win/loss/tie calculations assume that all hands see all 5 cards - equity is usually going to change dramatically after the flop.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure what you are looking for, but it should be fairly obvious that if you are putting in a third of the money and you only have 30% equity, you are looking at a -EV proposition.

Obviously, if you have something like a flush draw and will be probably extract more when you hit than you have to put in when you don't, then <33% equity can still be profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I meant preflop here. I'm looking for how much you can recover postflop against bad players to make up for your equity deficiency preflop. Maybe as the other poster said it's just not possible with hot/cold simulations.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:17 PM

If anything, I think you need to discount the equity numbers from PokerStove. They are based on the assumption that everybody stays to the river, which is obviously not the way you play, and probably not how your opponents play either (but if they don't play closer to this than you, you need to work on game selection). For example, your equity with 22 inludes hands won by making a set on the river. In real play, you're probably not going to stay in for very many of those. The question you should be asking is not, "How much lower than break-even equity can I go", but "How much more than break-even equity do I need". I don't have an exact answer for you. Showdown simulations are a useful tool for comparing relative hand values, but they don't come close to telling the whole story.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:24 AM

You might get a better response in the probability forum