Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Re: 4 racks of chips not enough?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why would you want to slow down the game playing with white?

Are your suggesting the 4-8 be played with white as well? I've played 4-8 this way and the game is much slower than using the $2 chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

4/8 with white is the nuts. Its not slow at all (now, I'm not talking FW, but this is how Canterbury runs it). Now, if you've got morans who don't know how to count 4 chips, then 8 chips, maybe it'll go a little slower, like one hand per hour less, but that's not much to give up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, any limit game with a single chip denomination where the small bet is 4 chips and the big bet is 8 chips rules. Big pots, big pyramids, spray.

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely LOVE 4/8 with the whites (blues). Lets move some chips!! I especially love it when the dealer has trouble pushing that 30 BB pot to me and I miss the action for the next 4 hands while I stack it all up. 4-rack buy-ins are awesome. Way more fun splashing the tokes around. I play online if I want to be efficient.

Oh yeah, and then there's the two-hand BigBet tell...gotta look for the two-hand BigBet tell ("I'll just place these two little oreo cookies out here"...)

And of course the turn-raise tell...does villain efficiently pump down 4 perfect small stacks, coyly slide out a 20 and peel 4 off the top, confidently bellow out "sixteen!", or use the tricky 5+5+5+1 that lets you know you are REALLY in trouble.

Even better is when it's 4/8 with 6/12 overs or the whole table just decides to go for 6/12.

I wholeheartedly agree with sfer...it's all about the chips.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:42 PM

Default Re: 150$ for 2/4 @ foxwoods not enough?

150 is definetly enough. 100 should be fine
Old 08-19-2005, 01:59 PM

If we're talking one day/session, $150 is plenty. And those who say it's all about the chips have never played at Trump in Gary (or should I say Buffington Harbor, LOL). They were so gross, I'll never go back. Oh wait, I guess it IS all about the chips [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Bobby
Old 08-19-2005, 04:46 PM

I've only ever bought in for $80 or $100 on a 2/4 table, and have never even come close to running out of chips.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Are your suggesting the 4-8 be played with white as well? I've played 4-8 this way and the game is much slower than using the $2 chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

4/8 with white is the nuts. Its not slow at all (now, I'm not talking FW, but this is how Canterbury runs it). Now, if you've got morans who don't know how to count 4 chips, then 8 chips, maybe it'll go a little slower, like one hand per hour less, but that's not much to give up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, any limit game with a single chip denomination where the small bet is 4 chips and the big bet is 8 chips rules. Big pots, big pyramids, spray.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gambooooooooooooooool!!!

I'll never forget Gonores and Schneids getting in the arms race. Allegedly, we ran CP out of blues (whites, whatever). Big pots are probably the best thing about live play. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-19-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I don't slow it down. I break a stack of 20 into 5 piles of four beforehand, so slinging out 4 or 8 white is as easy as pulling out two or four yellow.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

With $4/8 I'm fine with either. 2 chip/4 chip doesn't create tiny-looking pots like 1 chip/2 chip. Sometimes if I have a few stacks of white (from moving up from $2/4), I make piles of eight.

I'm not as adamant as some on here (see above) about maximizing physical pot size, but it can't hurt right?
Old 08-22-2005, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've only ever bought in for $80 or $100 on a 2/4 table, and have never even come close to running out of chips.

[/ QUOTE ]
How many times have you done that?
Old 08-22-2005, 06:05 AM

$150 should be more than enough. Heck, $75 should be enough.

I don't understand why you wouldn't want to have $1 chips at a $2/$4 table. The small blind is $1. It really is a pain in the arse for the dealer to have to constantly refund money and keep track of who put what into the pot.

For my first time playing live, I was surprised at how much money I gave away to the dealer. A $1 tip per winning hand seemed pretty standard. Probably won 20 hands, so probably tipped $20. Made a big difference at the end of the night.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why you wouldn't want to have $1 chips at a $2/$4 table. The small blind is $1.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I played 2/4 (and the first few times I played 5/10), I made sure to buy some $1 chips to go along with my rack, until I realized that it was easy enough to get $1 chips from either: change from my folded small blind, from other players, or from pots won.

[ QUOTE ]
It really is a pain in the arse for the dealer to have to constantly refund money and keep track of who put what into the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although many Foxwoods dealers are idiots, most can handle the above two tasks.

[ QUOTE ]
For my first time playing live, I was surprised at how much money I gave away to the dealer. A $1 tip per winning hand seemed pretty standard. Probably won 20 hands, so probably tipped $20. Made a big difference at the end of the night.

[/ QUOTE ]

You probably spent as much on gasoline, food, and tips for the waitresses. Besides, if twenty dollars makes a big difference to you after 6-8 hours of play, then you probably should ask your mommy to increase your allowance.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you must play g00t