Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 01:22 AM

Default Re: 1 Year Anniversary of Online Poker Career

Also, ignore all the negative posts. Keep in mind that a very low % of poker players who want to be professionals make it, and you made it. Hope your results will improve next year.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:50 AM

27k after an entire year of playing poker professionally? Two tabling party 55s? lol you didn't put much time into planning this did you.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In terms of ROI: I've played almost exclusively $55 sng's. From Nov 1 to Mar 31, I played 1619 55's with a 17.4% ROI for $15,440. From April 1 to June 30 I played 760 55's with a 3.5% ROI for $1,450 and in July I played 247 55's with a -6.9% ROI for -$935.

[/ QUOTE ]

Need a raise or is 27K good enough? Looks like you play about 5000 sng's a year. That is $25000 in fees...you should find an affiliate kickbacking 25% easily so you could make an extra $6250 doing nothing!

Nice post and good luck next year.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:21 AM

Good post and a great read. I wish you the best of luck and thanks for being honest! Hope all goes well in year 2. I plan to go pro after I move to Vegas in about 2 weeks. This sheds some light on what I might be looking forward to.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the post. Here is some advice for you:

To cope with the boredom, you should learn other types of poker games and formats.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good advice. I don't play "professionally", but I do play quite a bit in the evenings and weekends. About a month and a half ago, after a couple of months of very good results, I started getting bored with playing 5/10 full ring games. The boredom was affecting my play, as I found that I was starting to make -EV plays because I was bored and was getting impatient and needed the excitement of gambooling. I stopped playing Limit Hold'em and switched to PLO8 for awhile, as well as the occasional NLHE tourney.

I came back to 5/10 HE last week, and I found that I was re-energized and was back to playing the way I did before I got bored.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:37 AM

Man some of you guys are arses. 17% is very good at the $55s, all he has to do is add a few tables and he'll be back to 6 figs. Good stuff for having the balls to make the move.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:47 AM

<font color="red"> Its also much easier to play 2 or 3 cash games than it is 2 or 3 SNGS at the same time </font>

I disagree with this 100%.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Going from a small company to being bought out by a large company, I can agree the corporate world does suck! I am taking the summer off and will find a job with a smaller company.

[/ QUOTE ]

All of the corporate world does not suck. I have been with the same manufacturing company since graduating college (almost 12 years now), gone from working on the floor to a proffesional desk job. I get constantly challenged from different directions, and deal regularly with people all over the world.

Overall, it has had a positive effect on my life.

No where near as soul sucking as sitting in front of a computer playing poker all day - which I love doing.

There has to be a happier medium out there for you, and you should be able to find challenges is any job.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="red"> Its also much easier to play 2 or 3 cash games than it is 2 or 3 SNGS at the same time </font>

I disagree with this 100%.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think multi-tabling SNGs is easier, or the difficulty is the same?

Just curious.

Bobby
Old 08-04-2005, 01:35 PM

This is pretty close to how it went down for me. I've quit playing altogether for 3 months now and don't plan to play more than the occassional tourney for fun. Because poker is not fun when you have to play for a living.

Even though it was easy money, I found that I can earn more money focusing my energies into my business. It's amazing how much work I put into poker to earn $20/hr.

The stress and annoyness is just not worth $20/hr to me. And it is no longer fun. I'm sure no one has noticed me leaving, and I'm sure that there are many winning players like me who have quit after a few years.

A rarely lurk on here anymore. I just logged on today because I was curious how Absolute Poker was doing. I've been seeing a lot of TV commercials.

A piece of advice. Look for a new career. It's not going to get any easier.

HC

[ QUOTE ]

In early January, I finally got a 20" LCD and moved from 2 tabling to 4 tabling. I ran extremely well for close to 3 months. However, sometime in late March, there was a turning point that likely will turn out to be the reason my poker career will not last. I simply lost my passion for the game that I had had for the prior several years. I no longer got up in the morning anxious to open up some tables. The bad beats and lost coin flips started to become annoying instead of inspiring. It had gotten to where I felt that I need to force myself to play instead of constantly wanting to play. I no longer had my web browser constantly surfing the 2+2 boards.

Hopefully my 2 year report will be much better.

[/ QUOTE ]