Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 03:44 PM

Default Abortion in the popular media

I'm not trying to make a point with this post at all. What I'm wondering is what you all can remember about abortion being mentioned in the popular media (i.e., in fictional television shows and movies). I'm also wondering about your opinions of how the abortion issue was handled in the plot. What I can remember is listed below:

1) Fast Times At Ridgemont High - One of the teenaged main characters in high school gets pregnant and gets an abortion. The subject seemed extremely matter of factly, especially given the tone of the rest of the movie. It seemed somewhat out of place.

2) Sex And The City - Miranda gets pregnant and discusses with the other three main characters about whether she should have an abortion. They all reveal their experiences with abortion. They all seem thankful to have the option. She decides against it.

3) Six Feet Under - Claire (I think that's her name) very matter of factly asks one of the other main characters (can't remember who) to take her to get an abortion. When she brings it up to the father a couple episodes later, he's pretty upset about it.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Abortion in the popular media

Of course TV and movies are all on the liberal side of the issue, so you won't ever see anyone showing remorse for snuffing out a life.

Citizen Ruth with Laura Dern was a funny movie about the issue (despite the blantant liberalism).
Old 10-20-2005, 04:23 PM

so in Sex and the City, when she decides against it, she's snuffing out a life?

jesus, the OP asked a simple question, not what your opinion is, but where did you see it mentioned...

On My Wife and Kids (I think that's the show with Damon Wayans) the jesus killing all liberal media persuaded the kid to not get an abortion.

but I think they ate a baby later.
Old 10-20-2005, 04:35 PM

Desperate Housewives I recall someone suggesting that Mrs. Solis might have an abortion but neither she nor her husband really considered it.

I wonder if they ever considered it on Friends?
Old 10-20-2005, 05:15 PM

They did near the end when Rachael had the baby.... but they didnt do it.

You know, I'd blame my girlfriend for my excessive Friends knowledge, but it's only half true, and no one would believe me anyways.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:24 PM

Does anyone think that it's easily done with a movie, but not so easily done with a television show because of ratings?

The Six Feet Under situation is the only one so far where there was really no deliberation about whether to have the abortion - she just did it. Then there was an intense argument about it after the fact.

The whole dynamic is a little interesting to me, and I'm considering doing a small research project about it for one of my classes.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:04 PM

I think the major networks would have trouble with this because they don't want to alienate an audience. I think they try and avoid any issues of real social importance. Personally, I think abortion clinics should be advertising on TV.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:59 PM

I may be mis-bumembering, but didn't Roz on Fraser talk about getting an abortion? I think she had a kid.

And I think it was brought up on Cheers at least once.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:20 PM

Lost. Lady considers getting an abortion and then decides to have the baby (but give it up to a family)
Old 10-21-2005, 02:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You know, I'd blame my girlfriend for my excessive Friends knowledge, but it's only half true, and no one would believe me anyways.

[/ QUOTE ]

On that note, I'd like to mention that the movie Dirty Dancing has a scene dealing with one of the ancillary characters having a botched abortion - probably what many of you would describe as a 'liberal' depiction, as it attempts to portray the horrors of pre- Roe v Wade back-alley abortions.

Subsequently, taking a cue from behemoth2006, I'd like to blame my wife for my excessive Dirty Dancing knowledge; this is more than half-true. Please believe me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]