Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 07:34 PM

Default Re: Post your best expert play!

I think I like this play, one good thing about it is that if he has you beaten (two pair or better) he will absolutely bet the river if he has checked the turn (and you checking behind), so you wont fear a check-raise on the river.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:39 PM

the "push my stack all-in" play
Old 12-18-2005, 07:41 PM

My expert play is to run over my different options for the hand and select the one that, given the situation and opponents, yields the highest profit over time.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My expert play is to run over my different options for the hand and select the one that, given the situation and opponents, yields the highest profit over time.

[/ QUOTE ]

damn son, you are cold as ice
Old 12-18-2005, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know a guy who play 10/20 NLHE online and he says one good move is to induce a bluff on the river from an opponent who has called flop and turn with a probable flush draw against your top pair + top kicker or overpair. When you reach the river you just check hoping him to bet behind and then you just call. If you raise you'd only get a call or a reraise by a stronger slowplyed hand. Reflections?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this pretty normal?
Old 12-18-2005, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know a guy who play 10/20 NLHE online and he says one good move is to induce a bluff on the river from an opponent who has called flop and turn with a probable flush draw against your top pair + top kicker or overpair. When you reach the river you just check hoping him to bet behind and then you just call. If you raise you'd only get a call or a reraise by a stronger slowplyed hand. Reflections?

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this pretty normal?

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard river play from theory of poker.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:57 PM

I fire two barrels with complete air after raising preflop a lot of the time, so checking behind on the turn with a real hand (top pair+) is rare for me. It makes decisions very difficult when I'm not hitting cards, but I run over the table when I pick up hands.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:51 AM

Check this: You've got JJ/TT/99 in MP. You make a standard open raise, or raise after limpers. Button, who is a rather tight/passive player (lets say, 15/3/1), reraises you 3x. All fold, you call.
Flop comes A63 rainbow. You lead for 2/3 pot. He folds his KK/QQ, because you got lucky and hit your ace. Or, he calls/raises his AA, and you get away without investing anymore. You gain EV, and no-one is the wiser.

(or checkraise if you're feeling really ballsy)

(Maybe i shouldnt give out all my secrets)
Old 12-19-2005, 08:31 AM

The old continuation bet trick, nice one!
Old 12-19-2005, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

one good move is to induce a bluff on the river from an opponent who has called flop and turn with a probable flush draw against your top pair + top kicker or overpair. When you reach the river you just check hoping him to bet behind and then you just call.

[/ QUOTE ]
That is completely standard. A more advanced version is to bet something insulting that they still can't call with a busted draw. They don't want to fold for $20 in a $500 pot, so they feel compelled to make a substantial raise.