Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2005, 10:48 PM

Default HD failure

Hi,

My Hard-drive refuses to spin up. This had my pokertracker db and all other poker records. Does anyone know if any of this info can be retrieved ? And what the cost would be ? (200Gb, mostly video, audio, pdf's and poker).

Thanks,

Bubu

PS the irony off it all - the HD died, unexpectadly, as i was installing a new long postponed DVD-RW so I could make some backups.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:58 PM

Default Re: HD failure

I can't tell you the way to get your info back but I had the same thing happen this week. One of my three hard drives crapped out on me. This drive had all my music and my PT database. Fortunately I was able to accesss the drive once more before it finally stop responding and backed up my data.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:59 PM

Default U R Screwed

Recovery is possible. First the techs need to determine exactly how much the data is worth to you. Then they can estimate a fee equal to 125% of this figure. There will be no Vasaline available.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Re: U R Screwed

i think it will hurt lots... i googled one site. $100 for appraisal, then $125/hr... I can't imagine it taking less than 3hrs (replace the motor say ?). Ouch. byebye to my multimdeia collection, pokertracker, pics...
Old 03-01-2005, 01:19 AM

Default Re: U R Screwed

They won't fix the drive, and no promises on which data comes back. But, yeah its gonna be pricey......
Old 03-01-2005, 03:07 PM

Default follow up - in case it happend to you

Spoke with Maxtor technical support about the drive. They were very helpful and guided me through some diagnostics. Unfortunately the best they good do is offer me a replacement. I was pleased by their support. They did refer me to ontrack data recovery services, which charges $100 for the initial hd assessment. Standard prices range from $900 to $2500. I think the $900 range is for no-brainer solutions... Bottom line is to remember to backup your data.

B
Old 03-01-2005, 04:16 PM

Default Re: follow up - in case it happend to you

Interesting...

I just had a Maxtor die about 2 weeks ago.... Its all RIGGED!
Old 03-01-2005, 04:20 PM

My hard drive is going out. All i use the PC for is PokerStars and to surf the internet. I don have to worry about backing anything up do i? How much is a new hard drive?
Old 03-01-2005, 04:30 PM

There was an article on HD salvage in our local newspaper last week. The 'puter guru newsflack said put it in a sealtight plastic bag, and put it in the freezer for an hour. Then plug it back into the computer and attempt to d/l your data to another drive pronto while still cold. Apparently the failure is often overheating electronic parts. They would possibly run long enough to d/l your data if they started out cold.

I cannot speak to the validity of this, but if the drive is shot, I can't see how trying it would hurt anything.

Doc
Old 03-01-2005, 05:27 PM

Had a hard disk that crashed recovered 2 years ago.

Cost me $2,500 Canadian. Can't remember, but I thnk it was a 20 gig hard drive.