Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 01:49 AM

Default 5/5 foxwoods shorthanded

ok so villain in this hand is bad, like i just saw him very quickly and happily put 2k with his KK in vs what i thought was an obvious set. the set was 333 on a 345 board and with running 4's, he sucked out big. he since has donked off some money and now is back down to 2.5k. i have him covered. on to the hand.

6 handed. my image is aggressive and LAG, as usual... i haven't shown down any bluffs really but i'm betting and raising a lot.

villain is UTG and straddles, i limp with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], one other limper, blinds complete, he makes it 60, i call, other limper calls. i haven't seen him be tricky preflop so this is probably a pair or big cards but who knows, he is just weird. not too aggressive but also just makes random weird plays.

flop (200): 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

villain bets 100, hero raises to 200, mp folds, villain reraises to 300, hero calls.

turn (800): 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

villain bets 200, hero raises to 600, villain thinks for maybe 15 seconds and calls.

river (2000): K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

villain shoves for 1600.

i want comments on basically every street, i know i didn't play it ABC style or whatever so yeah let's get some analysis here. and then river action and what range you put him on what is likely, etc.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:58 AM

Default Re: 5/5 foxwoods shorthanded

Probably call the flop, I don't see what the min-raise accomplishes.

I would raise to 1.2k on the turn ... make him commit (if he has a overpair as is bad he will dump it all here).
Old 11-23-2005, 02:01 AM

I would call the flop. If you want to raise, I'd raise to something like $400.

As played, on the turn, I'd raise to $900 and lean towards more.

River, as weakly as he played it, it looks like he hit his flush. This seems more likely. Otherwise, he hit his set of Ks. Fold.

Garland
Old 11-23-2005, 02:10 AM

Looks good to me.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:52 AM

standard.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:59 AM

I never open limp w/a straddler
Old 11-23-2005, 02:59 AM

i dont see how u can fold here. people love action on their straddle but i think his range pre should be heavily skewed towards big cards. villains flop play looks weak, defenitely not how i see him playing KK. on the turn he again is weak with a 1/4 pot bet and he has to think to call. considering he happily and quickly got it all in in kk on an undercard flop i dont see how he is debating calling this relatively small bet with his indestructible kk. also, i dont see villain hesitating with flush draw often....i mean its a flush draw u have to see the river at all costs right????? in sum i think u see KQ, AK here a lot.
i call but i am a calling machine.

edit:
i am not a fan of your flop raise, but on the turn i dont think u want to blow villain off his hand here, he is almost always either drawing slim or practically dead. that is unless he has a habit of underbetting pots with big hands.
Old 11-23-2005, 03:03 AM

Folding the river seems terrible based upon the descriptions given. He took a long time to call a very small raise on the turn -- unless he was doing some bizarre acting, that's not a flush draw. And it was stated that he previously shoved in $2k "very quickly" with KK, so once again the long pause on the turn doesn't make sense. If he hit anything on the river, I actually wouldn't be surprised for it to be AK.

Of course, a bigger raise on the turn would have simplified the river action infinitely.

edit - forgot about his min-reraise on the flop. I guess that changes things slightly, especially with regards to the possibility of him actually having AK or something.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:18 AM

The only hand I can see Villian having that has you beat here is JTs. I really don't see Villian min-reraising the flop with anything but that hand. His turn bet is definetely weak, so you have to make him pay here. Given all the information you posted, I would call the river here...after some thought of course. It would be helpful to know whether your had Villian stacked though.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never open limp w/a straddler

[/ QUOTE ]

paul, seems like a generalization that I dont agree with.

im sure you've had MUCH more straddle experience then me, but I can think of a bevy of situations where open limping w/ the straddle is > raising the straddle. Such as?..

A gambler who pumps their straddle alot, or a good player hwo likes taking down dead money with rags, open limping a strong hand in an effort to trap this.

A passive player from the straddle, but you're in EP with something like a small pair, which you dont mind isolating the straddle with, but building a big pot isn't bad either (encouraging others to come in)

If action is folded to you in and you have a hand you want to play w/ vs the straddle, but definately not extra juiced pf, something like KTo which figures to be good vs straddler, so your intention is to play a small pot with position + best hand, but if you isolate, it's too easy to get trapped behind or build a pot too big for your comfort

I see what you mean, though, and I'm sure this weekend / in nyc cardrooms / etc. I didn't punish the straddlers enough when I wanted to play.