Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Universal Health Care

Under Universal Health Care, when does the government decide to stop covering someone?

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/12/bu...ykJAfGxFsGHvoQ
Old 07-11-2005, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Universal Health Care

[ QUOTE ]
Under Universal Health Care, when does the government decide to stop covering someone?

[/ QUOTE ]
Man, this is really tough, and you know it. The rich among us, in the world, always have better health care. I don't know what to make of it except that the people working on this are hopefully brilliant.
Old 07-11-2005, 11:55 PM

Two points...

1. We don't have 'healthcare', we have 'sickcare'.

2. We are closer to universal healthcare than you realize.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:01 AM

Since in principle healthcare is believed to be a right, there has been an ethical debate on this going on here (Norway) for a while. The doctors say that medical possibilities exceeds even potential funding and thus have asked the politicians several times to make the priorities since they say that now it is basically doctors who does the health/money trade-off and it should be a political responsibility.

The parliament has put together an ethics board (not running away from the unpopular decisions anymore) and the members says it is very tough. In the beginning they felt like in the blind, but now some principles are starting to emerge. Will be interesting to see how it all turns out.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:06 AM

Is there any links to thier findings or methodology. Or is it still in forming stage.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:17 AM

I have already explained the situation here:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...mp;sb=5&o=

Let me add that if your monthly budget includes cable tv and beer, or any new clothes whatsoever, I have no sympathy for you if you're not insured. You made your choice, why should I have to pay for it?

natedogg
Old 07-12-2005, 12:22 AM

It is very much in the forming stage as it is only in the last 5-10 years the politicians have started to accept defeat in the way that they will never be able to meet the total demand for healthcare.

They have started to stop paying for some medicine brands due to cost where they see very little benefit coming from those medicines compared to similar ones. They have also said that patients may not have right to a treatment if it is expensive and the chance of success is low.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:29 AM

You know, just to emphasize the importance. The medical breakthroughs and the ageing population in combination is the severest challenge faced by the Western European welfare model. I.e. France and Germany have not yet adjusted to this reality and are facing severe structural challenges.

If the democrats will win both house and president, they will also get a tough time working out these issues.