Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 08:13 PM

Default AQ, multiple bets, no showdown, and I\'m lost

I had played against villian before but surprising had no notes on him or PT stats. All I can say is I knew he wasn't a 100% straightforward player and leave it at that.

Party Poker 3.00/6.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

His OR took me by surprise as I was getting ready for a blind battle. I'm not folding AQ to an LP open and I probably should have 3-bet, but was trying to remember my read on this guy and became unsure of my move so I weakly CC.

Flop: (5.33 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

I'm raisng to see how much this dude like his hand and I may very well have the best hand against a LP PFR. Maybe I take it down right here and if not I'm taking control at least.

Turn: (4.67 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

I'm really unsure about this 3-bet. I know AA and QQ are unlikely but there are 6 combos of KK. At the same time I think a semi-bluff with a str8 or FD draw is very possible from this player.

River: (10.67 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds.

Well I'm happy to win the hand but I'm lost as to what villian was holding and just how badly did I play this hand.

Final Pot: 11.67 BB.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:17 PM

Default Re: AQ, multiple bets, no showdown, and I\'m lost

3-betting PF is so much better than coldcalling.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:18 PM

I woulda played it just like you, personally I think you played it well...
Old 11-05-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3-betting PF is so much better than coldcalling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta make sure the blinds don't come along and find out if you get capped! That info should help alot. 3-bet!

psw
Old 11-05-2005, 11:39 PM

i'm baffled you play 3/6 and don't 3-bet preflop. this is basic poker 101. this is for value, not info.

rest is fine really.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:00 AM

I'm going to toss my hat in the ring (as suggested by the Clarkmeister "jee-whiz" thread) and say 3-bet this every time with a suspect raise from the cut-off. Unless he's the tightest of tighties, one of the 8/2/6.5 rakeback rocks...

What'd he have? AK? and thought you were FOS? Maybe he thought he could get you to fold a JT, T9 type of hand? He'd have plenty of odds to call the 3-bet and fold the riv...
Old 11-06-2005, 01:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm baffled you play 3/6 and don't 3-bet preflop. this is basic poker 101. this is for value, not info.

rest is fine really.

[/ QUOTE ]

You make it sound like I should blindly assume every CO open-raise is steal situation. Granted I tilt my scales in that direction often. However, this is the first time in an hour this guy has tried to steal from CO and I should assume he is FOS.

I realize I would prefer to be HU(maybe, we're still not sure we're not dominated), but I also feel I may be able to extract multiple bets from a player who may have a history of getting out of line. It's not just an auto-raise for me everytime(and I don't think it ever should be), but I do acknowledge that it is correct the majority of the time.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had played against villian before but surprising had no notes on him or PT stats. All I can say is I knew he wasn't a 100% straightforward player and leave it at that.

Party Poker 3.00/6.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

His OR took me by surprise as I was getting ready for a blind battle. I'm not folding AQ to an LP open and I probably should have 3-bet, but was trying to remember my read on this guy and became unsure of my move so I weakly CC.

Flop: (5.33 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls.

I'm raisng to see how much this dude like his hand and I may very well have the best hand against a LP PFR. Maybe I take it down right here and if not I'm taking control at least.

Turn: (4.67 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO calls.

I'm really unsure about this 3-bet. I know AA and QQ are unlikely but there are 6 combos of KK. At the same time I think a semi-bluff with a str8 or FD draw is very possible from this player.

River: (10.67 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
CO checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds.

Well I'm happy to win the hand but I'm lost as to what villian was holding and just how badly did I play this hand.

Final Pot: 11.67 BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how you can call this preflop. This is fold or raise ( I would tend towards fold). Other then that it looks fine.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see how you can call this preflop. This is fold or raise ( I would tend towards fold). Other then that it looks fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless I have any information that persuades me to do otherwise, I'm 3-betting this 100% of the time preflop.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you have a huge number of hands and he NEVER raises, this is a terrible fold.