Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 05-23-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Newbie to PLO, Advice Please

So I have been playing NL at the micro limits for a while with a decent win rate so I was bored and I tried PLO at the 25PL tables on Party this weekend. I won nearly $300 over the weekend.
I am pretty sure I am doing things wrong, I basically apply the NL style where you bet out with a hand or a draw and don't stop until you are real sure you are beat.

My question is this. Are these games that easy to beat or was it just beginners luck? The only hands I would lose were the hands where I hit a hand (Trips or better for the most part) and the other guy had a great draw and drew out on me.

My Poker Tracker for NL has me as a TAA so I suppose I kinda know what I'm doing, but I won way too much over the weekend and I'm just curious if the games are that easy to beat.

Any ideas would be appreciated here.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Newbie to PLO, Advice Please

I just started playing plo 2 months ago and experienced similar success. I ran my bankroll up $2000 playing 1/2 and 2/4 plo. I had a few really bad hands which knocked me down a little but I am still up.

Stay at low levels and get the pokertracker omaha version. The higher levels do not have as many fish and you have to stomach huge pot bets on monster draws and play your top set or top two pair very carefully up front.
Your bankroll should be able to tolerate a string of bad beats so don't move up too quickly. One stat that I find interesting is % of showdowns won if you start to decline in showdown % it is time to reevaluate.