Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Favorite atheletes

[ QUOTE ]
i still don't understand why you like him.

because he hits the long ball? roids.
because his 'natural ability'? roids.

i like his demeanor? this is like rooting for the unibomber.

[/ QUOTE ]

plus more - he's about the most un-personable guy on the planet. you don't have to kiss the media's ass, but how about being polite? he's a jackass and I repeat, people are confusing respect for his accomplishments and game for like-a-bility.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:16 PM

Your posts sound more and more like Joe Fan calling talk radio every day.

Supplements and steroids may help Bonds' body rejuvenate itself, but they don't give him his hand/eye coordination, his control of the strike zone, or his swing. To put the words natural ability in quotes and then attribute it to roids, as if to imply that without steroids Barry Bonds would be as good a baseball player as any schlub, is just ignorant. I think you're smarter than that and just have a personal dislike for Barry Bonds, but I could be wrong I guess.

As for denigrating his demeanor, I would act the exact same way towards the scribblers, they deserve nothing better. They're a bunch of fat, jealous, bitter men who lack the talent to be either real journalists or athletes. 162 times a year he has to hear the same stupid questions, one after another. Personally, I find it a joy to hear him reply, "That's a stupid question, man. Why you ask a stupid question like that? Next question." If more athletes would do this, less stupid questions would probably get asked.

You finding issues with demeanor on someone is kind of funny, considering who your avatar is; if Bonds is surly, what's Steinbrenner, sweetness and light?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i still don't understand why you like him.

because he hits the long ball? roids.
because his 'natural ability'? roids.

i like his demeanor? this is like rooting for the unibomber.

[/ QUOTE ]

plus more - he's about the most un-personable guy on the planet. you don't have to kiss the media's ass, but how about being polite? he's a jackass and I repeat, people are confusing respect for his accomplishments and game for like-a-bility.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he's hilarious. He's my favorite interview in baseball.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:26 PM

so you think he's funny because he acts like an angry jerk? if that's the case, that's cool.

i don't know...i really don't get it. i think he gets credit for being (maybe) the most talented to ever play the game, and yet for some reason he feels slighted. then he gets caught cheating (like it or not), and he gets more mad.

the guy is a SICK athlete, and i can even understand people saying he's their favorite...but anyone who says they like the persona he projects just baffles me.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:27 PM

Sure, they don't give him hand/eye coordination. The let him build up those huge [censored] guns that allow him to carry a light, 30" bat that he can get around on a 98 mph fastball faster than anyone in the league. It HAS helped his longevity, to the point where he should be in the HOF right now, instead of coming back to break the Babe's, or even Aaron's record.

Before you even bring up Giambi, my view on him is that he is a douche for cheating, and always will be a douche. I wish that his contract could have been voided last year, even if he was a major contributor on making the Yanks a playoff team last year.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:44 PM

I think he's funny because he tells off reporters constantly. I don't think saying what he really feels makes Bonds a jerk, it just makes him more honest than 99% of the ballplayers and media writers out there. I like people that speak their minds and don't take crap from anybody.

I understand that some people think Bonds is a "cheat" and a "liar" for the whole supplements issue, and he probably is in a way, but not in a way that's any different from his peers. So many people in MLB use that crap that it's not fair to single out Bonds. I would say the only reason he's been made the poster boy for this crap and not Canseco, Sosa, Clemens, Caminiti or any of the other users both proven and just obvious, is because he doesn't kiss enough reporter ass. I'm not going to excoriate him for something that half of MLB has been doing just because he doesn't give the reporters good enough Uncle Tom.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:48 PM

Barry Bonds is a pretty intelligent guy and had some of the best seasons ever... almost 15 years ago. Barry's the best LF ever, and has been since, oh.. 1999?

Like I said, Bonds is an intelligent, well-spoken guy. He just doesn't like the media, which gets him in a lot of trouble in the press. You could really see it in an interview he did with Dan LeBatard. Too bad it's reg-req and bugmenot isn't working.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I understand that some people think Bonds is a "cheat" and a "liar" for the whole supplements issue, and he probably is in a way, but not in a way that's any different from his peers. So many people in MLB use that crap that it's not fair to single out Bonds. I would say the only reason he's been made the poster boy for this crap and not Canseco, Sosa, Clemens, Caminiti or any of the other users both proven and just obvious, is because he doesn't kiss enough reporter ass. I'm not going to excoriate him for something that half of MLB has been doing just because he doesn't give the reporters good enough Uncle Tom.

[/ QUOTE ]

I seriously don't think the hate towards Barry has to due with his demeanor toward the media anymore (I personally don't like him, but I feel like this is an issue ESPN and other media outlets run into the ground, hence it becoming an issue). I think it has to do with the fact that he's about to break one of the most sacred records in American sports, and 'cheated' to do it.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:52 PM

it doesn't change anything that hank aaron was probably constantly hopped up on amphetamines (which is now banned)?
Old 12-12-2005, 03:53 PM

again, like it or not - cheated should not be in quotes.