Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you anticipate a speedy resolution to this issue?
Yes 15 20.83%
No 57 79.17%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-30-2005, 02:55 AM

Default HELP: top set against potential straight

just sat down so no reads. the SB waited until time nearly expired on every street. feel free to comment on all streets.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG ($539.50)
Hero ($394)
CO ($500.90)
Button ($471)
SB ($541)
BB ($295.05)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $14</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) calls $12, BB calls $10.

Flop: ($42) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $15</font>, SB calls $15, BB calls $15.

Turn: ($87) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $65</font>, SB calls $65, BB calls $65.

River: ($282) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets $100</font>, Hero calls $100, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises to $300</font>, BB folds, Hero calls $200 (All-In).

Final Pot: $982
Old 10-30-2005, 03:06 AM

Default Re: HELP: top set against potential straight

sorry second poll option should be lead out bet by BB, not SB
Old 10-30-2005, 03:14 AM

Why not make a real flop bet and not price the draws in so you know where you stand?
Old 10-30-2005, 03:15 AM

I think you have to bet more on the flop here. 1/3 pot doesn't fold much, and doesn't tell you much about your opponents holdings.

I like the turn bet a lot more, and would call on the river. I have trouble giving villain credit for the straight, lower set perhaps.

If the straight beat you here (46 I guess - flopped OESD)I think you might have been able to get rid of it with a decent flop bet, but he doesnt drop it to the 3/4 pot bet on the turn, so maybe he was destined to outdraw you.

I don't think you should fold here though.
Old 10-30-2005, 05:49 AM

Not folding..if he's calling all streets with 46, then lucky him, he hit his overpriced river card.
Old 10-30-2005, 06:10 AM

I agree the flop bet was just terrible. I call the river, but I really don't like it. I think getting 4:1, you have to call, because you see a slowplayed set here enough to make this call with those odds IMO. If you had to call much more, I might find a fold.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:13 AM

He could have 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or something
Old 10-30-2005, 12:15 PM

Do you seriously see people calling 7xbb raise with 46?

-fop
Old 10-30-2005, 12:42 PM

I'd say you'll be up against a hand like 46 or 69d a good portion of the time here, but not enough that would justify folding in this monster pot.

The river raise from the SB indicates that he has a very strong hand, since he not only has to get both you and BB to fold with a bluff, but he also has to realize that the pot is so big that a bluff probably won't work. So there is no doubt in my mind that SB thinks he's ahead, the question then is how strong he really is? It would be nice to have a read on SB, like how often he defends his blinds, or even how "good" he is. Against an average-good player, you'd expect to see him defending with hands like small pairs and Axs, and definately not 46 or 69, but against a sub-par player you can't assume anything about quality of defending hands.

It is very likely that he has a set of 5s or something like that and was trying to string BB along for the ride. The important thing here is to not fold.
Old 10-30-2005, 01:14 PM

Villian has a lower set, no way I'm folding here.