Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Rebuy advice please

I'm playing in my first live holdem tournament next week.

Its €50 entry but there is also one optional rebuy for a further €50.

This is a satellite tournament for a €250 event, top 3 qualify.

I've only ever played on-line at multitable tournaments with no rebuys, so have no knowledge of this subject.

Questions

1) Will the rebuy be available to everyone? e.g. Even the chip leader? What's the normal setup?

2) When is it worth a rebuy? I mean if I have a decent stack of chips before the rebuy deadline, but most people are re-buying, maybe I'd be wrong not to? (On the other hand, why spend another €50 if I'm doing OK?)
Old 01-27-2005, 11:35 AM

Default Re: Rebuy advice please

Take all any advice with a grain of salt, of course...

I'm assuming you don't know the specifics of the rebuy, since you didn't provide them. Usually you can only rebuy if you have dropped below your starting chip count. However, in some tournaments, you can use your rebuy like an add-on- you can buy more chips at the end of the rebuy period, regardless of chip count. I would only decline an add-on if I had more than 20x my starting stack. With that said, I (and this is only me--- you'll probably find some other opinions here) would probably just go ahead and use my rebuy immediately after sitting down. You can't underestimate the power of a big stack early...

Good luck.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:41 AM

Am I missing something?

[ QUOTE ]
Its €50 entry but there is also one optional rebuy for a further €50.

This is a satellite tournament for a €250 event, top 3 qualify.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're putting up €50 to have a shot at three (3) prizes each worth €250, and you're even considering re-buying?

Unless there's a cap on the number of participant of no more than fifteen (15) you should not play at all. Re-buying? Yes, if the cap is at seven (7) participants!

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 01-27-2005, 11:44 AM

1) Probably only available if you're at or below starting chip count.

2) If you can take it immediately, and others are doing that, then take it. In general, bad players are more prevalent in the early stages of a tournament, and you want to be able to take all their chips.

If you take the rebuy, you're putting €100 down for a shot at a €250 seat. Are you going to get that seat 40% of the time? The structure here doesn't sound great to me.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:57 AM

Default slight correction

Oops, there are 6 seats each week, not 3. And there are cash prizes also (unspecified).

This is a brand new promotion, there are no rules published anywhere that I can find. There's not been an event like this in my area before, so I expect to be up against several first-timers.

It was a small ad in a local newspaper and I only found out because I know one of the dealers. Don't know how many tables they expect to fill in the first week, my guess is not that many.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:06 PM

Good catch to all who noticed the slightly less than beneficial structure... even with six seats, it's still not the best deal.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good catch to all who noticed the slightly less than beneficial structure... even with six seats, it's still not the best deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dunno, if there are only six entrants...
Old 02-02-2005, 08:14 AM

Well the tourney is tonight and rebuy advice looks like a moot point. I have found out the rule is you can only rebuy if you have lost ALL your chips, and there are no add-ons.

Should be fun, anyhow.