Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 12:16 PM

Default Slowplaying KK & JJ is bankroll suicide

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.5 BB (9 handed) converter

SB ($23.5)
Hero ($27.95)
UTG ($25.15)
UTG+1 ($67.45)
MP1 :<font color="#A500AF">(JackAttack)</font> ($27.35)
MP2 ($7.3)
MP3 :<font color="#A500AF">(ShortStack)</font> ($6.9)
CO ($27.9)
Button ($42.05)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 :<font color="#A500AF">(JackAttack)</font> raises to $1</font>, MP2 calls $1, MP3 :<font color="#A500AF">(ShortStack)</font> calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $1, SB calls $0.75, Hero calls $0.50.

Flop: ($6) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">JackAttack bets $4</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">ShortStack raises to $5.9 (All-In)</font>, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $26.95 (All-In)</font>, JackAttack calls $22.35 (All-In).

Turn: ($65.20) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

River: ($65.20) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 3 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $65.20
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: $23.70, between Hero, JackAttack and ShortStack.</font> &gt; <font color="#FFFFFF">Pot won by Hero ($23.70).</font>
<font color="#009B00">Pot 2: $40.90, between Hero and JackAttack.</font> &gt; <font color="#FFFFFF">Pot won by Hero ($40.90).</font>
<font color="#009B00">Pot 3: $0.59, returned to Hero.</font>

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 3c 6h (three of a kind, sixes).
JackAttack has Jc Jh (two pair, jacks and sixes).
ShortStack has Kh Ks (two pair, kings and sixes).
Outcome: Hero wins $65.19. </font>
Old 02-11-2005, 12:19 PM

Default Re: Slowplaying KK & JJ is bankroll suicide

and?
Old 02-11-2005, 12:24 PM

Why were you calling the preflop bet with that crap anyway? Just looks like you gave somebody some bad beats. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2005, 12:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why were you calling the preflop bet with that crap anyway? Just looks like you gave somebody some bad beats. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you advocate giving away every Big Blind without a fight? If you do that someone is going to raise your Big Blind every single orbit.

You are going to put a weak raise in on my Big Blind and I think I can outplay you postflop... If that is the case I am calling with any 2 cards.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are going to put a weak raise in on my Big Blind and I think I can outplay you postflop... If that is the case I am calling with any 2 cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also agree. Esp. with 5 other people in the hand. calling a min raise from the BB with $5.50 in the pot isnt exactly bad.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:54 PM

Default Calling with unsuited trash in NL is bankroll suicide

The odds against you flopping trips is around 73:1 against and there are not many other hands you can like to flop with 63o. Moreover, given the pre-flop betting you had no real reason to believe that you could push through one opponent, not to mention two, even if you hit your miracle flop. Avoid these calls in the future.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you advocate giving away every Big Blind without a fight? If you do that someone is going to raise your Big Blind every single orbit.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. He asked why you called a raise that was coldcalled by half the table with a trash hand. Are you aware that this is not a steal situation?
Old 02-11-2005, 01:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. He asked why you called a raise that was coldcalled by half the table with a trash hand. Are you aware that this is not a steal situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I get that the raiser is not trying to steal he is trying to pump up the pot. I figure him for AQ, AJ or maybe a suited ace. When I saw both opponents had big pocket pairs I was suprised they waited till the flop to put in a real raise. If I raise with JJ a minimum raise pre-flop and someone pushes all-in after the flop with an aggressive check-raise I need to make a tough laydown.

If I see someone folding their Big Blind for a min raise alot then I am going to raise any old hand I plan to play against them every single time. I think the loss of the $0.50 is nothing compared to the image that I am going to fold to any raise out of my blinds.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Calling with unsuited trash in NL is bankroll suicide

[ QUOTE ]
The odds against you flopping trips is around 73:1 against and there are not many other hands you can like to flop with 63o.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the odds of flopping a straight, or trips, or two-pair is likely good enough that he's getting implied odds on his 50-cent call, no? I admit that it's close and *probably* bad, given this is a 2-gapper and he's not suited. But I dunno . . .
Old 02-11-2005, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Calling pre-flop raises with 63o is bankroll suicide

'nuff said.