Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2005, 09:50 AM

Default Really depressed

I started out well, turning my initial 50$ into 160 in a day. Then I got cocky. I moved up from .5/1 to 1/2 just to see if I could do well there too. Before I knew it, I got a few hands cracked and was down to 75. So I quit for the night and came back this morning, only to lose 30 dollars in less than an hour. So now I sit at 40, wondering what the hell I'm going to do. Anyone had a similar experience? :\
Old 02-11-2005, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Really depressed

Nope. No one in the history of poker has ever gone on a 60BB downturn.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:02 AM

In less than an hour of play time?
Old 02-11-2005, 10:04 AM

I just don’t understand how people get 48 posts here and then make a post like this?

You shouldn’t even see a ½ table until you have $600 in your bankroll.

There are tons and tons of posts about how to handle you’re situation. You basically have 2 paths to choose from.

1. Artificially build a BR by bonus whoring and learn the ropes at ½ and 2/4.
2. Remove the $40 u have left and put it in a sit with .05/.1 stakes and build your BR by moving up through the levels and learn the ropes as u play.

Do searching and you’ll find all kinds of post about proper BR, bonus whoring, when to move up in limits, etc.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:06 AM

Bear, my advice to you is to stop whining right now. Then study hard and play a lot for one year. After that, come back and look at this thread and have a good laugh at your own expense.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:06 AM

We have no idea how you played the hands you were dealt. Post some hand histories.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:07 AM

I was curious about 1/2. I know about proper BR, I guess I have no one to blame but myself. I was playing really tight, and probably would've won money, but those are the breaks I guess. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:10 AM

$400 would generally be fine for 1/2, about $1000 for 2/4 and $2000 for 3/6.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:37 AM

This statement tells me u may know what proper BR “is” but not “why” u should have it. U said I was “playing really tight”. I assume u meant to say “I was playing optimally” or something like that. You have to realize that proper play does not guarantee a winning session or even a gradual increase of your money or a short time frame. It only maximizes your chances of being a winning player or a long period of time.

The BR recommendations are there for a reason. If the recommendation is 300BB and u sit down and lose 60BB u have to realize this most be totally normal, that is how excellent players have come to agree on guidelines. They have already played numerous hands and determined what a typical swing range is.

Also, I’m curious about 100/200 but I’m not foolish enough to go risk by BR to fulfill my curiosity.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I started out well, turning my initial 50$ into 160 in a day. Then I got cocky. I moved up from .5/1 to 1/2 just to see if I could do well there too

[/ QUOTE ]

You said it.. you got cocky.
Its common. I went through it when I first started playing online (before I ever read anything on the subject.. learned about bankroll management, ect.)
I started with $100.. I played mostly SnGs on Party. I did very well to start out. I played $5 to get my juices flowing and did well. Quickly started to play $10 and still did pretty well. I stayed at $10 because at the time the next highest level was $30.. if there was a $20 tourny I would have played that.
But when I went on a little run at the $10 I would go for the $30 game. I would play 2 of those and lose... be on tilt, go back to the $10 and lose.
I finally got down to ~$58 and decided to play a $50 tourny out of frustration.
I was fortunate enough to place 3rd, close out for the night and restart the next day with a clear head. I was lucky.

Dont get cocky. Play at the level your BR forces you to.

Quick question though.. is the 300BB rule strict to Limit play? I would assume for NL you would want more, correct?