Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Set o\' Eights

MP is loose pre-flop (and fairly passive) and very passive post-flop. Comments are appreciated.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, MP calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls.

Turn: (8.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises</font>, Hero calls, BB calls.

River: (14.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP calls.

Final Pot: 16.50 BB
Old 11-23-2005, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Set o\' Eights

I think you gotta 3-bet that turn. Only reasonable hands you are behind are 99 and QQ, and BB might well call two cold here.

The way this played out, I think leading the river is good. You get to 3bet if he has a Q, and he might check behind with AA or KK, when the board pairs, and even if a checkraise was succesfull, you could end up making the same if the river donk could elicit a weak call from BB.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:18 AM

he's that passive that the turn raise means definitely 99, QQ, or JT? i suppose playing any of those hands like that is possible from him, but i can't think of any player i wouldn't 3-bet the turn against.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:18 AM

I just checkraise the river. He's showing a lot of strength here on the turn, and 3x gaybets get everybody nervous.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:22 AM

I love a river check raise here. MP is representing a straight, so no way he is checking through. If he JUST as a queen, he's going to bet as well.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:31 AM

3-bet preflop
Old 11-23-2005, 11:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he's that passive that the turn raise means definitely 99, QQ, or JT? i suppose playing any of those hands like that is possible from him, but i can't think of any player i wouldn't 3-bet the turn against.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure; that is the problem. A lot of players you could see playing AQ or KQ this way, but I don't see MP raising the turn with just TPTK after I have shown such strength and there is still one other player in the hand to contend with. I also see two pair holdings as fairly unlikely. Still, I felt kind of sick not re-raising the turn.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:37 AM

the only possible reason i'm not rerasising the turn is to keep the other guy in, certainly not because i think i'm beat.

Given that, i'm raising the turn.

Given how it played out, i like the river check-raise
Old 11-23-2005, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love a river check raise here. MP is representing a straight, so no way he is checking through. If he JUST as a queen, he's going to bet as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

The thought of the sexy certainly went through my mind and I think that is what I probably should have done. I was of course worried about it getting checked through. But if villain does have the straight that I was worried about, he should not necessarily be too concerned by the board pairing given the way I played the turn.
Old 11-23-2005, 11:42 AM

i don't think there is anything wrong with betting out, the river check raise is easily overused. I like it here, but betting out certainly isn't "bad".