Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2005, 09:10 PM

Default Brother\'s visit...music trip report...

my brother devin came to visit me this weekend. he made me a mix that at first i was shocked to [censored] about.

usually he'll make me a mix combining some great selections from classical/rap/jazz...usually some brendel playing beethoven or other great piano sonatas/concertos, then some rare Big L or Nas, then maybe som ray charles/stevie wonder (i got him listening to superstition and he loves it)

this time was different though...i got 3 musicians on a 15 song mix. no rap. it was Dvorak, Chopin and...

therewere 5 songs by FIONA APPLE. at first i was like wtf...then i listened to the instrumentation and lyrics and im hooked. utterly fantastic musician.

i recommend three songs "extraordinary machine" "red red red" and the "waltz" song. you guys can take it from there. listen to the words.

[/trip report]

Barron
Old 11-13-2005, 09:24 PM

Default Re: Brother\'s visit...music trip report...

Well, just for accuracy's sake, she doesn't write the music.
Old 11-13-2005, 09:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, just for accuracy's sake, she doesn't write the music.

[/ QUOTE ]

really? damn, i thought she wrote the piano parts and played them...then had others do the rest. thats what was so impressive, in addition to the lyrics...she doesn't write the piano parts?

Barron
Old 11-13-2005, 09:48 PM

I'd be interested in tracklistings of the previous mixtapes you mentioned that had hip hop on them.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd be interested in tracklistings of the previous mixtapes you mentioned that had hip hop on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

such i digression, i wanted to turn you guys onto fiona apple cause it was a pleasant surprise to me.

older mixes included songs that i dont know the names to but i could guess based on the songs:

Nas: purple, blood of a slave, old freesytle i have no name for, instrumental for "nasislike", represent, doo rags, blaze a 50, that song about life that im blanking on now with the girl in the ICU that nas visits and she tells him a bunch of [censored].

JayZ- tracks from reasonable doubt. the one w/ snoop scratched.

One i added: black thought done by xecutioners w/ ghostface

Big L: lots of tracks. freestyle with JayZ. casualties of a dice game. hmm, i dont know the names of any of those tracks...but i know all the lyrics almost by heart. one of my favs is the "i be that smooth cat you never see rolling wit clows, one o' the few from uptown thats holdin it down" towards the end where he goes "i rock a blue face prezzy, pockets heavy with cheddy, i met these two lezzies in a chevy betty and dezzy. they like to manoige (no idea how to spell that) a troi and blah se blah wit L corleone 'cause im a suave star."

so im no help with the big L tracks 'cause i dont know the names. also, sometimes h'ell put some of his and his friend's beats on the mixes. ive saved every one.

Barron