Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 01:03 PM

Default This flush tastes like burning

OK, one more quick one from the other night. This happened not long after the first hand I posted and the Villain (covers) is the same player. Some limpers and I ($1200) limp with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in the CO, button and blinds come along...

Flop: (5 players, $50) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Checked to the button who bets $65, everyone calls, I call.

Turn: (5 players, $375) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Checked to me and I bet $300. Only villain in MP calls.

River: (2 players, $975) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Villain leads for $500, I ???

I could not come up with a good range here. One would think that an aggro player would have done something on the flop with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or a set. Again, this looks like a value bet, but I am unclear if he is even trying to read my hand and could be value betting a weaker holding hoping the board scares me somehow.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Re: This flush tastes like burning

Flop: (5 players, $50) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Wow so much dead money and no real sign of strength. Id make a big raise or maybe a move allin. 375 in dead and Id say fold equity for the table is 80%+ and it does wonders for your image.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:33 PM

Villain had AJ heart.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wow so much dead money and no real sign of strength. Id make a big raise or maybe a move allin. 375 in dead and Id say fold equity for the table is 80%+ and it does wonders for your image.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is a great idea. My image could certainly use some work in this game. My thinking at the time was that there had to be other people on [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]'s (hopefully non-nut) that would unload their stacks. Also, this was the type of game where even if the flush got there some of these people would stack off with two pair because they are terrible.

I like your idea a lot though... especailly given how tight everyone thinks that I am.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could not come up with a good range here. One would think that an aggro player would have done something on the flop with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]x[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or a set. Again, this looks like a value bet, but I am unclear if he is even trying to read my hand and could be value betting a weaker holding hoping the board scares me somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just call. Even though the action does not suggest a boat, I don't see many weaker hands that will call you if you raise, even though they are probably pot committed. Id be most worried about A2
Old 11-30-2005, 01:40 PM

I just cal. Ahnuld's idea is an interesting one. I like your plan if you hold nut hearts, since you don't, you'd probably prefer to take this pot down on the flop.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:47 PM

Hi tpir,

This one's easy. You have like 800 left, and you're obviously at least calling, so put it all in. This would be a sure push unless you had more than 1300 or so IMO.

And yes, I see that the board paired.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi tpir,

This one's easy. You have like 800 left, and you're obviously at least calling, so put it all in. This would be a sure push unless you had more than 1300 or so IMO.

And yes, I see that the board paired.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because you dont have much left doesnt mean you should push. As on any river decision, you need to put your opponent on a worse hand that will call. he may be blocking with AhJ, but thats abotu it. And if he had the lower flush, he would have raised on the turn.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:59 PM

villain is not making a stopping bet of $500 when hero only has $800 left since he must call if hero comes over the top.

having that said, i just call.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
villain is not making a stopping bet of $500 when hero only has $800 left since he must call if hero comes over the top.

having that said, i just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying he necessarily is making a stopping bet. I mentioned that as one of the remotely possible hands against which it would be proper to raise. Regardless, it is likely that the villain has hero beat or has air, in which case calling is better than raising.