Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2005, 10:07 AM

Default How bad was this laydown?

It's been killing me. 2/5 NL
MP makes standard 3bb raise, I call on the button with 7,10o (I know, I think I'm Gus). 3 player take the flop.

Flop comes J 7 10. Sweet, got my 2 pair.

MP bets out $10, next guy folds, I raise to $30, he reraises me for all my money (we're able even stacked at $800 total).

Now I'm thinking damn it, did he weak-lead me with a set? Is he on just a flush draw? An overpair? Would he really move in with a hand like AJ?

So, long story, I folded like a big puss. The guy showed AJ.

Is there anything I can tell myself to make me think I'm not a complete moron. Obviously knowing what he had would have helped my call, but would a good player ever fold here? I know a bad play wouldn't consider folding for different reasons.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: How bad was this laydown?

This just comes back to a read. Know that he will overplay his hands like that and get it next time. If you hadn't seen him overbet like that before, it's hard to know what to do.

Also, don't call w/ that crap if you don't have a read on the opener. Even if you called the flop, you still lose the hand over 27% of the time...
Old 08-12-2005, 11:02 AM

I call the allin...too many hands push taht you're ahead of.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:26 AM

where I really went wrong was not following through with my preflop plan. I called in position hoping a couple things.
1) an ace comes and he doesn't have one.
2) He's on 2 unpaired big cards and all low cards come on the flop.
3) I can flop a big hand and bust his big pair.

I hit a big hand just like I wanted to, but then didn't really want to play that big of a pot with it. That's what really made me fold, I wasn't looking to play that big of a pot in that spot. I gained some valuable info on the guy at least.

The only other thing I can say in my defense is of the things I put him on preflop, JJ was definitely one of them.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I call the allin...too many hands push taht you're ahead of.

[/ QUOTE ]
like what? I think calling here with bottom 2 is a pretty big mistake w/o read.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
where I really went wrong was not following through with my preflop plan. I called in position hoping a couple things.

[/ QUOTE ]
Um, adjusting your read to what would be convenient based on the flop is a sure way to lose a lot of money. Thinking "I'm going to bust his big pair" and "I can win this pot if it comes down low cards because his AK is no good" and "if an ace comes I can push him off his hand" simultaneously seems to indicate that you're unhealthily obsessed with taking down the pot once you call preflop, as you're seeking to justify putting in money with 710 offsuit.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:43 AM

IMHO, this is not just a matter of reads, but of note taking. Its important to know the range of hands he will open-min-raise with, and to know what his CB means. Watch the game when your not in the hand. Take notes. To me this is a typical example of AJ that has been sucked out on one too many times, or folded to a semi-bluff, or tired of being OOP when the scare card hits, so he over-reacts.

You're only a 2-1 favorite against anything but a set or better two pair so after you get sucked out on several times you may find yourself over-reacting just like this.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Um, adjusting your read to what would be convenient based on the flop is a sure way to lose a lot of money. Thinking "I'm going to bust his big pair" and "I can win this pot if it comes down low cards because his AK is no good" and "if an ace comes I can push him off his hand" simultaneously seems to indicate that you're unhealthily obsessed with taking down the pot once you call preflop, as you're seeking to justify putting in money with 710 offsuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't disagree with you more on this one Foxwoods. Call me crazy, but calling in position HU with trash cards is not always a bad play. Those three things I named came straight from a Negreanu article. It's playing the other guy, not the [censored] hand you have. I use the strategy sometimes and it's a great way to pick up those extra little pots that make a big differenc in the end. I would recomment playing 7,10, but if the situation is right it may be okay.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:57 AM

the guy pushed his whole stack of 800$. it would be a terrible call. fold is fine. screw reads. a fold here is fine.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:08 PM

I call here expecting to see AA-QQ a majority of the time. JJ isn't pushing in that spot very often.