Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2004, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Greg Raymer hand last night on P-stars..what do you think?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It is permissible to leave yourself with a postflop decision sometimes, even if you're not going to be 100% sure it's the right one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its pretty hard to win without making a few tough, post flop decesions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.

[/contributes more]
Old 10-18-2004, 03:10 PM

You can't get away from that if it comes 8 high, can you? That would be tough. I definitely don't have him on a big pair, I have him on any two as he was first in in the cutoff - which is precisely the reason I am raising on the button with a legitimate hand.

Granted, if he does reraise all in preflop, I have to lay it down. But do you think he makes that play with KQs?

You do have position, but you are most likely going to be facing a bet on most flops and reraising all-in is going to be your only chance of picking up this pot.

Gojacketz
Old 10-18-2004, 03:52 PM

(99) is going to be hard to play against any player, and you can multiply that by a few times against a top pro.

Your reraise sounds great , but I see a major problem with it in this senerio.

What if Greg Flat calls your reraise, to say T6500. You now have T6500 in the pot and still looking for a flop that makes you feel comfortable with (99). Does this give you any better post flop feel for where you are at? Does this make you auto fold to a 3/4 pot size bet on the flop?

So I see the flat call being okay here, just because it gives a lot more room for the CO to get away from the hand or put greg to a decesion after the flop. I would have to go with a flat call . The call looking to put Greg to a hard call on a 1 Paint flop. JMO
Old 10-18-2004, 04:18 PM

I think the reraise makes the flop bet a little easier. If Greg flat calls, then I put him on a decent hand, maybe 10,10 or J,J. If the flop comes 8 high and Greg moves in, I can have an easier time getting away from the hand. If I don't reraise and miss the chance to see his strength, I have a hard time folding to the 8 high flop. If the flop comes 8 high or say J high and Greg checks, I move in.

The reraise tells me he has strength (if he calls), but he could have AK or KQ (which KQ is not very strong) if he checks, I end it right there. If he slowplayed KK,AA, that's fine I'll go watch TV or something.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:18 PM

What hand do you think a good player would call your reraise with in that situation?

Gojacketz
Old 10-18-2004, 04:22 PM

As I posted above, I would think a pretty good hand, 10's or better.

I'd like to know how Greg would have played the 9's in that situation. If I had to guess, I might think huge reraise to force the KQ out, then he takes the whole pot from the K7 all-in.
Old 10-18-2004, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As I posted above, I would think a pretty good hand, 10's or better.

I'd like to know how Greg would have played the 9's in that situation. If I had to guess, I might think huge reraise to force the KQ out, then he takes the whole pot from the K7 all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

with a hand like TT facing a re-raise, thats the best time to make a decision preflop instead of seeing a flop. By calling and pushing, you are folding out all the hands you were ahead of and getting called by the hands that have you beat, a really terrible line.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:44 PM

So if folding the 99 is ok, is it ok to fold TT in the same situation? JJ? QQ? KK? AA? Then why do they call it gambling???
Old 10-18-2004, 10:47 PM

So if you can't fold the 99, how about 88? 77? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2004, 10:50 PM

Who advocated folding preflop? I think in this situation against a world champion, you have to reraise and put him to a decision, because I have a good feeling you probably won't outplay him after the flop. In this situation, folding may be the second best option (but not a very good one). Calling is an option on deep money and/or if you think you can outplay the cutoff after the flop.

I think you misread something in my last post. I am not saying fold to the initial raise, I am saying if you raise the original bettor and are reraised for all of your chips, you have to lay it down.

You wanna play for all your chips when you are in good shape at this stage of the tourney with 99? If I do, I am sure gonna be the one putting my money in first.

Gambling is good sometimes, but you can't get silly.

Gojacketz