Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2002, 01:20 PM

Default Re: Thanks for your time :)

The reason to worry about it is that it's a marginal situation that comes up a lot, so it adds up over time.
Old 12-12-2002, 02:19 PM

That hasn't been my experience...to be faced with this situation, you need:

a) no pre-flop raise to you with two or more callers
b) a small blind that's worth completing
c) a raise from the big blind
d) no-one re-raising
e) a small blind that does not obviously demand a call/re-raise

It might be a function of the limits I play (4-8 live and 0.5/1.00 online), but I very rarely see this.

PP
Old 12-12-2002, 03:52 PM

Sorry, I was just referring to completing in the small blind.
Old 12-12-2002, 04:25 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand
Default Re: Complete/folding in the small blind

"I am pretty damned sure that your always/never policy is incorrect"

of course it's open to debate. but it's a great, general rule. ESPECIALLY outside the blinds if your going to limp.

heres the deal.....say 3 limpers limp to you in the sb...youre getting 9-1 on this completion, right....BB raises they all call...your call will close the action, youre getting the same call really as you limped with. your next call is 9-1.

your 'overall' call for the round, as far as voluntary chips being put in, is 8.5-1.5. or close to 6-1. not really that much different. youll get likely get paid off should you hit your hand. so you can make your 6-1 off the implied odds. a raised flop bet, and a turn and river call will do it. sure your most likely behind, youre not giving up that much here. youre post flop play is pretty easy as long as you know how to release your hand postflop and not get trapped.

btw...KTo is a pretty crap hand anyway, even against bad players, i tend to avoid it altogether...

you have a good point about if the raisers calling standards are narrowed that far...that said, would you also fold any pair in this spot that's below KK? in this spot QQ is much like 99. youre likely going to have to flop a set right? id see the flop....

id also call any suited here, and wouldnt care if the BB raised, id still call...which is the case with the posters hand. this is an easy call...both in the completion, and the call of the raise, closing the action...

b
Old 12-12-2002, 04:43 PM

Ahh, gotcha -- yes, that's fairly common [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

PP
Old 12-13-2002, 11:16 AM

I don't smile when limpers fold to a raise. I keep a close eye on them: When an early limper folds to a raise it usually means that they have good discipline and know the game!
Old 12-13-2002, 03:18 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

when an EP folds to a raise, he is disciplined, but lacks knowledge of the game. you dont voluntarily limp then fold to a single raise. that is type A weak-tight. very weak tight. they dont have knowledge enough to think about what may happen behind them after they acted. theyre also much easier to read. and run over.

i will welcome this type of player into my game every time. and love his dead money in the pot preflop.

if it's good enough to limp voluntarily, it should be able to stand a single raise behind you. if it wasnt strong enough for that, you shouldnt have played the hand in the first place.

hence, if he's trying to limp with weak/easily foldable starters out of position, he's not that great a player in the first place. another lack of knowledge.

ive been in a hand, i was on the button, an EP limped, all folded to me. i raised. everyone folded including the EP. why even limp when it cant even stand a raise off the button?

sorry, i just dont give weak tighties that much credit.

b